Discuss is it possible to use tile backer boards on masonry? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all

i was fixing a leak in my loft shower room. the photos show after i had removed the plaster off the walls. on the edging photo i've measured 20mm from brick to shower tray. on the shower facing side i've measured 13mm. tile is 7mm thickness. i was wondering, rather than pack it out with cement mix, could i use those water resistant backing boards instead? or even a bit of cement mix and then backing board?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_9563.jpeg
    IMG_9563.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 30
  • wall2.jpg
    wall2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 28
  • wall.jpg
    wall.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 36
Yes you can stick it to block / brick with tile addy

Yes and you can add screws with the big wedi washers aswell

Depends on the height difference

would you advise me cut the boards and do a staggered approach, or just cut the board to size and add. its only the exposed areas im adding boards to, especially where the tiles meet the shower tray

Doesn’t really matter then as you only stagger if your putting boards above etc

So just cut to size

That is what I would use no need to stagger anything on a repair, prime the area to be repaired then around the bath mix up some tile adhesive and use that to level off allowing it to cure before then sticking a section of cement faced foam insulation board, just to give you a idea heres one I'm doing mapie adhesive is ok long as its a flexible one fix the board every 300 mm with washers screws and red rawl plugs . Regards kop

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_164651.jpg
    IMG_20210930_164651.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 30
That is what I would use no need to stagger anything on a repair, prime the area to be repaired then around the bath mix up some tile adhesive and use that to level off allowing it to cure before then sticking a section of cement faced foam insulation board, just to give you a idea heres one I'm doing mapie adhesive is ok long as its a flexible one fix the board every 300 mm with washers screws and red rawl plugs . Regards kop
thanks for the tip. that looks great, its gonna look great when you tile over it. i wish i knew all this stuff when i was getting this built...

oh, quick question, what size rawl plugs should i use? i take it the screws should be minimum 50mm into the wall, i have some screwfix turbo gold 100mm left, about half a box, would that do?

Red will be fine or brown depending on screw

Reply to is it possible to use tile backer boards on masonry? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back