Discuss Is this Flue safe and legal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gyro

Hi
Im buying a new house where the boiler flue goes out the kitchen and into the conservatory, and then curves up and out the conservatory roof so it terminates outside. However, is it safe and legal to have the flue going into the conservatory like this? Is it still servicable?
Can it be made safer if the part which goes through the conservatory was boxed in, and if so, would special materials be needed for this?
Thanks in advance for your help

unfortunately im not in the property yet so dont have pictures. I was hoping for some advice based on the description but i guess the key points i am after are:
- if the flue is a problem, can it be boxed around in the conservatory to make it safe from getting knocked
- What would be the conditions under which it would be deemed unsafe and unserviceable?

Im sorry, its not possible to get pictures in this instance. I really am just looking for help based on the info ive been able to give

gyro, my gut feeling tells me that the legality of the flue outlet/route is not really your main problem. I suspect its the aesthetics that's causing you a headache.
If the flue route etc is really a problem, then post the pictures so these top girls and bouys can help you.

What you're asking depends on a fair few things.

If it can have anything done it must be correctly installed to manufacturers instructions (the conservatory might have been installed afterwards so it very well might not)
if it does not then it would need to be altered before anything else.

What is the make or model of the boiler?
flueing differs between the brands.

As for boxing in again that might depend of the manufacturers instructions and what they allow.
also every joint must be readily accessible on the flue for inspection so the boxing needs to have access hatches.

your best bet is having one of us inspect it before you purchase the property.

it can be boxed in, but all joints in the flue need to be visible through inspection holes, something like 300mm square. hardly worth boxing it in if there are bends ect as you'll end up having most of it cut away. just my opinion.

Ok... the property is based in wokingham. Completion is due to happen friday 22nd. How soon could this be done and how much would it cost?

The boiler is a potterton suprima, but dont know any additional model details

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok... the property is based in wokingham. Completion is due to happen friday 22nd. How soon could this be done and how much would it cost?

- How soon could this be done? It depends on the avialability of the various parts that will be needed. Parts for some old boilers may not be readily available, so there u go
- How much will it cost? Well, get THREE RGI's to attend and quote

I guess another question to ask are what are the options of extending the flue on a potterton suprima boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this Flue safe and legal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock