Search the forum,

Discuss Is this missing part called a Flange? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have a radiator which is unbalanced; I believe due to a missing outer part, please see the attached images. Is the missing part called a Flange? Any advice where I can buy this part? Thank you

Attachments

• 20230729_184036.jpg
    20230729_184036.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230729_184048.jpg
    20230729_184048.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 21
Radiator pipe collar, decor cover, rosette ......
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/talon-15mm-pipe-collar-white-10-pack/19706?

"Unbalanced" is a plumbing term usually to do with an incorrect adjustment of the lockshield valve on the radiator.

Are you meaning the radiator is not straight on the wall? If so there is probably something up with the mounting brackets on the wall. It's not the job of the white collar to hold the radiator in the correct position.
Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick!

"Unbalanced" is a plumbing term usually to do with an incorrect adjustment of the lockshield valve on the radiator.

Are you meaning the radiator is not straight on the wall? If so there is probably something up with the mounting brackets on the wall. It's not the job of the white collar to hold the radiator in the correct position.
Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick!
Thank you for you reply. I meant not aligned/ straight by unbalanced...Thank you for the link :)

Hi,
Just to confirm, in order to drain the radiator, i need first to turn the metal knob clockwise as referred to by an arrow in image1 and the plastic knob in image 2 towards "-" to the limit. Is that right?
Please note that my stopcock is jammed. Hope it is still safe to drain the radiator.

Thank you

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 10
You need to isolate the radiator first before undoing the drain that you've arrowed, as follows:

Close the valve in your second pic fully clockwise.

Close the valve in your first pic, which, unless the white cover is actually the head of the valve, should pull off, revealing the stem of the valve underneath. You will need to turn the shaft fully clockwise, but count the number of turns, as when you're putting it all back, you need to restore the valve to roughly the setting it was on before.

Open the radiator bleed valve at the top to let air in so the radiator can drain.

Then open the drain you have arrowed, by turning it anti-clockwise. Hosepipe on the end or big bowl underneath!

if the water continues to run for ages, the whole system is draining, probably because one of the valves is not properly shut, or the drain is designed differently to normal!

Last edited:
You need to isolate the radiator first before undoing the drain that you've arrowed, as follows:

Close the valve in your second pic fully clockwise.

Close the valve in your first pic, which, unless the white cover is actually the head of the valve, should pull off, revealing the stem of the valve underneath. You will need to turn the shaft fully clockwise, but count the number of turns, as when you're putting it all back, you need to restore the valve to roughly the setting it was on before.

Open the radiator bleed valve at the top to let air in so the radiator can drain.

Then open the drain you have arrowed, by turning it anti-clockwise. Hosepipe on the end or big bowl underneath!

if the water continues to run for ages, the whole system is draining, probably because one of the valves is not properly shut, or the drain is designed differently to normal!
Thank you Basher for the detailed explanation, highly appreciated. I was able to relate all your detailed explanation to my radiator. I was able to pull up the cover of the first valve.
I have found two bleeding valves, see please 'BleedingValves' image; should I open both of them fully (water will leak)?
I am draining the radiator in order to align it; hence I am hoping to open the nuts in the 'leftValves' and 'rightValves' images. A video in youtube, drained the radiator from the valves; but the radiator did not have an angled valve. Many thanks for your advice
A last question, what if the water keeps flowing despite that the valves are closed. Is it a sign of a damage or should I just put everything back and use he radiator as it is?

Attachments

• BleedingValves.jpg
    BleedingValves.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 9
  • LeftValve.jpg
    LeftValve.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 7
  • RightValve.jpg
    RightValve.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 10
Thank you Basher for the detailed explanation, highly appreciated. I was able to relate all your detailed explanation to my radiator. I was able to pull up the cover of the first valve.
I have found two bleeding valves, see please 'BleedingValves' image; should I open both of them fully (water will leak)?
The idea is while the radiator is draining, and only then, opening one of those bleed valves will allow air in and the water will drain out. Water should not come out of them during that procedure. It does look as if they have been leaking in the past, maybe because they were not quit tightenen up enough, though it's best not to tighten too much as you can damage the screw.
I am draining the radiator in order to align it; hence I am hoping to open the nuts in the 'leftValves' and 'rightValves' images. A video in youtube, drained the radiator from the valves; but the radiator did not have an angled valve.
The nuts to undo are the big vertical ones next to the radiator. You can slacken one, pull the pipe/valve away from the radiator ("un-stick it") and let the water run out. But you have the drain point to attach a hose (if you want) to use to drain the radiator before undoing those nuts. When undone they should slide back towards the radiator, allowing you to take it off the wall. obviously don't undo the smaller nuts under the valves!
A last question, what if the water keeps flowing despite that the valves are closed. Is it a sign of a damage or should I just put everything back and use he radiator as it is?
You mean if water continues to flow during the draining process? Water coming out of one valve means it isn't fully shut, so turn it more and if that doesn't stop it, it's probably time to stop the project and call a plumber. If it's just a tiny leak, put something there to catch the water and try and get the job done before the container is full!!

Good luck and don't be afraid of having a go!

Reply to Is this missing part called a Flange? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Show us your fanciest radiators you've installed! We would love to see them! I love this Milano vertical radiator in the kitchen space. What do you think?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock