Discuss Is this ridiculous (boiler serviced and flame adjusted with flue buried in snow)? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Anyway, to complete the story, he finally turned up to replace the gas valve on the another boiler today, having finally managed to get hold of the part. While he was here, I had a chat with him and showed him the picture of the other boiler's flue buried in snow, so he agreed to have a look at it as he agreed it could be an issue.

He didn't actually do a FGA as not a condensing boiler (it's an efficient boiler but not as efficient as a condensing one) but looked at the flame picture, said it was acceptable if a little low, tweaked it up slightly and seemed to be happy with it.

Seems what he'd adjusted last time was the gas rate/burner pressure (the flame height - apologies if I don't have the right technical term) and not the gas/air mix which was what I had assumed he had adjusted.

Given that mains gas is actually a propanated air mix which seems to be inconsistent in its qualities (instead of natural gas or methane), I'm happy with this outcome. If the mains gas is inconsistent, my feeling is that adjusting to the nth degree is only really worth doing if you're going to recheck it hourly. In any case, the lady who occasionally rents the flat refuses point blank to actually turn the boiler on as she prefers to heat using wood because 'gas is expensive' (I have a private belief that she actually showers in cold water, but that's her business).

You should try it yourself. You'll find it most invigorating. If you're soft, start with the shower warm and then gradually dial down the temperature.
I do, sometimes, at the end of a shower, but I wouldn't want my entire shower with full-on cold, particularly when the water is entering the house just above freezing temperature (in winter).

I have swum in Swedish lakes (in summer) which wasn't too bad.

Reply to Is this ridiculous (boiler serviced and flame adjusted with flue buried in snow)? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back