Discuss Is this sound advice? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

T

tintin

Hi all,

I have a oil fired boiler that has one pump which feeds the radiators and the hot water cylinder on the same loop. The plumber who renewed the system about 10 years ago fitted the new cylinder and placed a manual valve on the intake pipe. He adviced that at the start of winter to close the valve half way to divert more flow to the radiators and therfore heat the house better.

Now at that time of year again and I have half closed the valve, and the showers are a bit cooler as a result. This has me questioning this wisdom. There is an extention with a radiator that always struggles to get flow and tends to heat up as the other trvs close. So maybe he thought it would divert flow to here?

Should I simply leave this valve open all year round?

I’m a little confused, you have a cylinder, but now showers are cooler? What’s the rest of the hot water delivery like?
The water is cooler as the hot water from the boiler is being diverted round the radiators and away from the hot water cylinder when I throttle the manual valve on the tank.

Best to update to this century and get some port valves installed

Reply to Is this sound advice? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock