Discuss Is this work acceptable (pics)? Central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not how I'd choose to do it, but you get what you pay for. Did you specify an all-copper installation?

As long as the fittings aren't buried in a screed or similar I'd say it's acceptable.

Doesn't look any better than a poor quality DIY job to me.
I would have done it in copper.

Ps. Whatever it is piped up in the pipework needs insulating.

It's not how I'd choose to do it, but you get what you pay for. Did you specify an all-copper installation?
Our builder hired a plumber. I didn't specify copper. I think Speedfit is fine, it's the joints being under lateral stress that bother me, and no clipping to prevent movement.

I'm not a fan of push-fit personally as I agree with you about the vulnerability of the joints in a constricted area.

As I said before, the job looks DIY standard to me and I'd be unhappy parting with my hard earned readies for something that looked like this.

Im not one for slating other plumbers works as a rule as we are all in same boat trying toe earn a living. However on occasions when you see this type of install i will pass my judgement for what its worth.As already stated it looks a diy install , my guess is that the plumber is not overly experienced .im never a fan how the pipes are drilled through the joists like that and what i did notice is that no indencies (however its spelt) have been used on the speed fit joints.On occasions speed can can jump if none of these are used its rare but does happen .

... no indencies (however its spelt) have been used on the speed fit joints.

Do you mean the collet clips? If so, I've never seen them fitted, especially now most fittings are twist lock. Not saying it's right, just that nobody* does.

*statistically insignificant numbers of installers...

Yep your right nobody does and shockingly alot of plumbers dont know about them.I try to sway away from speed fit personally polyplumb for me.But on occasions i have used them i fit the clips as have known and seen it happen where pressure drops and they ping off .

Correct Wheeto, they are called collets.
To demount the speedfit fitting you push the collar into the fitting thus releasing the clamp.
The collet stops this happening accidentally through pipe movement.

I agree with H4S that we all are trying to make a living but pride in a good job
Is important IMO and leads to recommendations and more work (hopefully)

As long as the fittings have been 'twist-locked' collets would serve no purpose on the fittings in the pictures above.
Twist-lock don't need collets, pushing the collar into the fitting has no effect once the fitting is locked.
That's not to say that this install is acceptable, it looks a mess as it is. Saying that, I don't know what the circumstances were when the 'plumber' did this, maybe he was on a shoe-string budget and told that other trades would be doing the boxing in, this isn't at final fix stage, so maybe he will clip the pipes etc. when he's connecting the rads up etc.
Time and budget allowing I'd try to use copper over plastic because although it's never happened to me, I've heard of push-fit style fittings failing, but they are becoming more and more commonplace and a well installed plastic system is likely to be reliable for the foreseeable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this work acceptable (pics)? Central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock