Discuss Joining the ranks of Oftec! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I'm finally going to get Oftec registered. Worked with oil for a few years (not my bread and butter) but I know a bit.

I'm doing 101 & 105e and 600a (tanks).

The thing is, the books they say I need are £150.00!!:bigcry:

One of them is for central heating. I can't honestly think I'll need a book on central heating after working on it for years.

Anyone any experience of this?

I'm booked in on the 30th of July. Looking forward to it, as I won't have to pay a rival firm to come out and commision my appliances anymore, and I can fit tanks.

You will need the books for when you register, they check you have them on there inspections, and also that you keep them updated.

Oh right. Are they really £150? Seems bloody steep.

I can see I'm going to have to put my rates up!

You'll need a set, maybe not for the course (we had sets provided) but when you get your inspection (within 12 months) he'll want to see your books and that you are adding in the updates.

How much you paying for commissioning? Danny.

Are you actually doing the course or just an assessment with the Oftec inspector?

Doing the course. Surely you can't do an assessment until you have your competancy certificates?

Its all new to me. Do I have to renew every five years as with gas? I guess initial registration is a few hundred quid? Then I'll get inspected.

I have a job I fitted a couple of years ago, possibly I can go and service that and get inspected on it?

Its all new to me. Never been urgent as I have never broken the law by working on an oil fired appliance. As I understand it, anyone can, registered or not. The registered bit becomes important when you start installing and want to notify. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see they're £31.50 when you're registered instead of £45, may be worth waiting until then, or do you know someone local that could get them for you

You'll need a set, maybe not for the course (we had sets provided) but when you get your inspection (within 12 months) he'll want to see your books and that you are adding in the updates.

How much you paying for commissioning? Danny.

All in I'm paying £600. Seems reasonable to me. Then the books on top.

Only asked because I was going to do the course at Trianco and they sold the books at a considerable saving over Oftec,thought your trainers might do the same

I see they're £31.50 when you're registered instead of £45, may be worth waiting until then, or do you know someone local that could get them for you

I have a couple of mates who are registered, but they're employed by a firm. So probably not possible. I think I'm paying £50 a book if I buy it from the college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Joining the ranks of Oftec! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock