Search the forum,

Discuss just starting out at college any advice would be good.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello im not a plumber not thinking i will be for years but having a new start after divorce etc....i do work full time as driving instructor but want a complete change.
but i have been told so many different things where to start , just signed for a diploma 6035 level 2 at chichester college, but now being told its a waste of time and money should be forgetting that and doing a nvq :/.
any help would be good im 42 so dont want to waste any time.
Thank you all in advance
Jason

welcome to the forum :) stay here longer and you will learn a lot
not sure for the diploma so will not comment on that

Welcome to the madhouse Jason.

Are you sure this is what you want to do? I always fancied being a driving instructor if I'm honest!

Nothing beats hands on experience, a very good friend of mine has spent 4 years at college to get c&g levels 2&3 but works in a totally unrelated field, where as in the real world I have far more experience day in, day out as a maintenance man, even though on paper I have nothing but an approved ground worker card and just started building a portfolio for gas.

dancing instructor lol that sounds like fun also :) !!!!
driving lessons are ok but have put up with teenagers moaning and groaning for 14 years time for change :))))

but plan is level 2 for a year then try to find someone i can shadow.....for a day or so a week be his boy make his tea fetch his tools etc for free if need be, in exchange for his knowledge....

You will learn more about the real world of plumbing by working with a plumber for a year for free than any course. Also you will see if you like it.
It is hot and dirty in summer and cold and dirty in winter.
Don't take it up on a whim, you will need to be mechanically minded and hopefully at your age will have done a fair share of DIY.
Good luck.

I live in waterlooville by portsmouth and i have done a few bathrooms and kitchens in my time (diy) standard i know sure it means nothing but they worked without any leaks :)....i also dont mind dirty done a plastering course few years ago which i enjoyed and allowed me to render my home and plaster family s houses but not for me as a career change....i enjoyed pluming the little i done, now i would like to find out more and get qualified.

working is my plan as soon as i can,as i said even if just shadow someone for experience and pick there brains, not sure how people will be with that as im not a kid any more :/...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to just starting out at college any advice would be good.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock