Search the forum,

Discuss Last few days for cash for your scrap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erpkid

Have just finished loading the van for the last cash run to our scrappie. As of the 3rd of December it will be cheque or transfer apparently. This was one of the last few perks we had so well done the government on introducing a law that will not discourage the toe rags who desecrate war memorials but make all of our lives just a bit more transparent.....also the missus will see how much scrap actually makes :sad:.............rant over

BTW also guessing the scrappie will be pretty mean with his prices

WE have no problem with cleaning up the scrap business - my best friend runs one
NEVER take your stuff in b 4 xmas cause the price always goes down - wait until
after my birthday - 29 jan

Father Xmas

Will a transfer or cheque make much difference though if its to a personal account?

Will a transfer or cheque make much difference though if its to a personal account?
If its a Ltd company yes, it needs to go into the business account!
if your a sole trader you can, but tax has to be declared!
ANY TIME BEFORE 3rd Dec they will have your pants down for sure!

Cant even be bothered with scrap anymore loads of hassle now i just stick £50 on materials nowadays

I find it hard to believe that you will have to be a business to scrap anything in! just put the cheque in your name, (less paperwork) and then pay it into your personal account. The way I see it is that I am throwing it away, and making money doing it. so I aint putting it in the books, never will even if they pay by cheque.

If its a Ltd company yes, it needs to go into the business account!
if your a sole trader you can, but tax has to be declared!
ANY TIME BEFORE 3rd Dec they will have your pants down for sure!

You mean tax is supposed to be declared! Might just stick it in the misses name!

do you ring the goverment and tell them that you are putting your rubbish bin out?
Do you ring the goverment and tell them you are putting some bottles in a bottle bank?
do you ring the goverment and tell them you are going down the dump?

do you pay tax to do any of these?

I"ll think you"ll struggle to find anyone who currently declares their scrap money
My mate who had an investigation, they estimated his last 5 years scrap income!! Trust me in the mrs name, personal account is still no good! They go through everything, BTW ingnorance is no defence either my pal worked his nuts off for a whole year, just to pay the fines and the HMRC's Estimates of what he owed, you cannot negotiate either!

I leave all copper at customers house as it is there property not mine.

there is loop hole, how long before they change who knows, but if they come to you and pick scrap up they will still pay cash, what this means to me is he comes to my lock up takes scrap to yard i follow he weighs it & pays me cash, charges a fiver, bit of hassle, but saves opening bank accounts & plus the otherhalf still none the wiser how much spare cash i have to spend on tools...

My mate who had an investigation, they estimated his last 5 years scrap income!! Trust me in the mrs name, personal account is still no good! They go through everything, BTW ingnorance is no defence either my pal worked his nuts off for a whole year, just to pay the fines and the HMRC's Estimates of what he owed, you cannot negotiate either!
What a load of rubbish!!! So they are going to do you for what is essentially recycling!! Do scrappies out if business this way cost most ppl just wont bother

If your that worried, take 20% of whatever you make and stick in a high interest account. If u ever get investigated then you can pay it straight away!

so! just a thought why do you have to be of a certain age to go to the scrap yard to weigh in?

i doubt it was just scrap... They have to take your word for it, so "I don't take scrap, I leave it with customers" is enough.
I think your friend may have been doing a bit more work than he was declaring.

Anyone got a link or detailed explanation of new regulations? I have heard varying stories but would just like to know exactly what is what.

A scrappy my mate goes to exchanges his scrap cylinders & copper for new end feed and solder ring fittings. This will more than likely stop as the contract guys who weigh in their excess fittings will have to think of other ways to cash in.

A scrappy my mate goes to exchanges his scrap cylinders & copper for new end feed and solder ring fittings. This will more than likely stop as the contract guys who weigh in their excess fittings will have to think of other ways to cash in.

Maybe we could set up a swap shop with a few guys on here and a scrappy. Collate any cash made and have a massive drink a couple times a year?!

you can appeal, it'll be costly though, lawyers dont come cheap, however
when you take out your public liability insurance, you can get extra cover to cover you for any tax investigations by hmrc,
basically means if the tax/vat man asks for £10k or whatever, and you dont agree, you then leave it to the lawyers to deal with and you dont have to worry about the legal bill. you might still end up still having to pay hmrc some tax, [a certainty] but the lawyers will argue your case. i think the extra cover costs around £50, google tax investigation insurance.

Morning everyone, just wanted to give your the facts for Mondays cash ban (don't shoot the messenger!). There is only one legal way you can now receive cash for your scrap, anybody that tells you otherwise or continues to pay you in cash is breaking the law. A very small proportion of itinerant traders can continue to pay cash, there are only a few of these around the country and they are itinerant traders with an S3(1) exemption. Most itinerant traders, like 99.9999% do not have this exemption - it requires a Police check. Any and all other rumours that you may hear are not true. Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

What a load of rubbish!!! So they are going to do you for what is essentially recycling!! Do scrappies out if business this way cost most ppl just wont bother
What's rubbish? its tough but he did it and got caught end of, income is income recycling excuse does not wash!

i doubt it was just scrap... They have to take your word for it, so "I don't take scrap, I leave it with customers" is enough.
I think your friend may have been doing a bit more work than he was declaring.
Routine investigation pulled at random, then they went through everything! Scrap was one part of it, CP 12's another, carbons on pads which you have to keep, checked against invoices for ££££££, don't think you are bullet proof you are not!

you can appeal, it'll be costly though, lawyers dont come cheap, however
when you take out your public liability insurance, you can get extra cover to cover you for any tax investigations by hmrc,
basically means if the tax/vat man asks for £10k or whatever, and you dont agree, you then leave it to the lawyers to deal with and you dont have to worry about the legal bill. you might still end up still having to pay hmrc some tax, [a certainty] but the lawyers will argue your case. i think the extra cover costs around £50, google tax investigation insurance.
Horse bolted! Stable door shut johnny! guess what insurance he has now lol

Morning everyone, just wanted to give your the facts for Mondays cash ban (don't shoot the messenger!). There is only one legal way you can now receive cash for your scrap, anybody that tells you otherwise or continues to pay you in cash is breaking the law. A very small proportion of itinerant traders can continue to pay cash, there are only a few of these around the country and they are itinerant traders with an S3(1) exemption. Most itinerant traders, like 99.9999% do not have this exemption - it requires a Police check. Any and all other rumours that you may hear are not true. Feel free to message me with any specific questions.

Good Morning & Welcome to the Forums
Can I ask a question?.
What are the specifics? I live in Scotland, have a waste carriers licences and use a local scrap dealer. If I went in next week with a load of copper/brass/steel what should I expect to have to provide in order to receive payment and what payment options are available?
Thanks

Routine investigation pulled at random, then they went through everything! Scrap was one part of it, CP 12's another, carbons on pads which you have to keep, checked against invoices for ££££££, don't think you are bullet proof you are not!

Was this the Taxman or the VAT man Vern? In my experience the taxman has little teeth when you are armed with a good accountant. The VAT man is another beast though.

This legislation only applies to England and Wales, not Scotland - they will be coming up with their own legislation.

Was this the Taxman or the VAT man Vern? In my experience the taxman has little teeth when you are armed with a good accountant. The VAT man is another beast though.

Tax man to start with pal, then mysteriously the vat man got involved, he reckons it was a disgruntled custard who he did a ££££ for (very good price etc), then 1 week later rang him for a Vat receipt, lots more too it than that, but you get the idea.....he was worked over big time, but has you have correctly said Vat man is the bad boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Last few days for cash for your scrap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock