Discuss Laying New Mains Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul simmons

Hi this is my first time on the forum and I would like some advice. I have laid a new mains water pipe to my property at the required depth however my stumbling block now is an underpinning block of 1.5 metres deep and 1 metre thick. If I went above this it would only be around 20 to 25 cm below ground level entering the house. Could I get away with it if I insulated it in some way or are there any other ideas?

I knew a guy who built up the ground over the pipe to the required depth dont know if that is an option here

Are you saying the underside of the concrete is 1m down and you have to go 1.5m length to get beyond it? If so I had a similar problem installing a duct. about 10 years ago.
It was about 600 deep and went for only a metre under an oiltank base.

I dug down about 700mm and used an auger type attachment on drainage rods to make a void for the duct. Took me about an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paul

The water regs say you are allowed to insulate the pipe if you can not go under the obstruction. The insulation must be waterproof and a load bearing slab must protect the pipe. You must also obtain written approval from the Water Supplier.

Ian

if your laying your own main you should have notified your water supplier to get their approval and they will advice you as towhat to do when they inspect your trench, pror to infilling it! or you could use an approved plumber who can sign off their own work to achieve the same outcome. there are simple ways around thisbut it would be best to get in those that have the knowledge to get it right an save trouble later on. As in ost areascommon sense can be used if you have problems with the site

Usually its a case of contacting the water supplier first before you do anything and they send an inspector out who tells you what they want you to do.

Its easy!

There are of course guide lines in the Water Regs as to what you can do, but you still have to contact your water supplier for them to agree it. So it makes sense to contact them in the first place.

All this talk of registered people signing it off, whilst it makes sense in one way, just seems another madcap gimmick, to flog courses.

The way its going you soon will not be able to turn a tap on with out a fully qualified tap turner being there. Seems silly.

All this talk of registered people signing it off, whilst it makes sense in one way, just seems another madcap gimmick, to flog courses.

The way its going you soon will not be able to turn a tap on with out a fully qualified tap turner being there. Seems silly.

Cannt see what the problem is of getting wiaps registration, did it as part of my time at college over the 4 years and it means I can do things legally without getting the water company in to inspect trenches etc. Funnily enough other plumbers use me to do jobs as they cant legally do them without writing to the water provider first, and it only cost me £50 to do the short course in the first place, no annual renewal fees to pay so not an issue as far as I can see only a bonus:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Laying New Mains Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock