Discuss Leaking Rothenberger superfire 2 in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

My Superfire 2 is now leaking gas from the pressure relief hole ( just below the trigger).
It is 14 months old and looks like new. The previous one did exactly the same but i think I got about 3 years out of it.
I spoke to Rothenberger . They tell me they wont warranty their torches if you use a third party gas canister and dont remove the canister after daily use.
My understanding is that it has something to do with effect of the gas long term on the O ring seals inside.
Plugging the hole is not only dangerous , it doesnt work and just leaks elsewhere (i know .i tried) . Apparently there are a number of seals inside the body that are for the regulator and they degrade. They are none user serviceable and the gun is manufactured in such a way that the regulator in the main body cannot be dismantled
I have also had a couple of Bernzomatics which have done the same . The general consensus is that Rothenbergers are Bernzomatics (rebranded)
They certainly look the same.
Looking through my graveyard tub of torches in the garage , I have Rothenbergers in there with not a single speck of black paint on them. I used to get 5 years from a torch and i have always used them heavily.

I would like to know if many others have had this problem and more interestingly i'm wondering if there is a relationship between starting to use mapp gas about 10 years ago and shortened torch life ( maybe acetylene degrades O rings more rapidly)

Thanks All

Had mine for 6 plus years nothing but they do sell rebuild kits for them

Yes and what ever my local has think it’s Roth

There's a rather excellent guide to the various modes of o-ring failures here:

If you do a post mortem on your failed torch and carefully remove the o-rings you'll probably be able to spot the cause. There's a link that allows you to check the compatibility of various o-ring materials with loads of chemicals.

I don't know what material Rothenberger uses for their o-rings but I've seen something like this in the past when some bright spark decided to substitute the designer-specified Viton (TM) o-rings with cheaper nitrile ones.

If you want to become an o-ring geek, here's another useful overview:

Reply to Leaking Rothenberger superfire 2 in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm a novice so go easy ;-) I have a Rothenberger SuperFire 2 torch and would like some advice as to how to safely remove the tip from...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We had the bathrooms replaced when we moved in 2 years ago. This involved 2x bathrooms and 1x WC. Within the first few weeks, we noticed leaking...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock