Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking underfloor pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tomily

I have a newly laid underfloor heating system under screed and then tiled. I waited 2 days as requested by the tiler before turning the heating on. When I turned it on yesterday, patches of the grout started to get wet around the rooms (extension and utility). I turned it off last night and there was no change this morning. I put it back on this morning and it has got a lot worse, now also starting to get wet in the kitchen area too. It's not just damp either, it's quite soaking. The plumber thinks (as there is no pressure drop) that it can't be a leak, but must be moisture from the screed finding its way out due to the heat. No one seems to have an idea what it could be - builder, plumber, tiler. Could there be any other alternatives? I'm really worried it is going to trash my new kitchen :(

screed takes time to dry out, if you have tiled over recently laid screed the only way moisture can escape is through the grout!!!!!!!!! shouldnt tile on fresh screed, your tiler should know that!

screed takes time to dry out, if you have tiled over recently laid screed the only way moisture can escape is through the grout!!!!!!!!! shouldnt tile on fresh screed, your tiler should know that!

I did question them about that but was told by builder and tiler that it was fine to tile on after 3 days, they used some piped in screed that dried fast?

So if that is the cause (which is much better than a leak!), would it be that wet not just look damp? And how long do you think it will take to dry properly, and should I put the heating on or not? Many questions :) thanks for your advice

Dry screed at 1mm per day! So 75mm = 75days.

U can force gravlon dry after a week . 1c aday rise in flow temp 65mm will take 4.5 weeks

So clearly it has not been given anything like that amount of time. Given the situation I have, what is my best approach now? Do I leave the ufh off for few weeks? Or should I have it on a low as it will go?

I have a newly laid underfloor heating system under screed and then tiled. I waited 2 days as requested by the tiler before turning the heating on. When I turned it on yesterday, patches of the grout started to get wet around the rooms (extension and utility). I turned it off last night and there was no change this morning. I put it back on this morning and it has got a lot worse, now also starting to get wet in the kitchen area too. It's not just damp either, it's quite soaking. The plumber thinks (as there is no pressure drop) that it can't be a leak, but must be moisture from the screed finding its way out due to the heat. No one seems to have an idea what it could be - builder, plumber, tiler. Could there be any other alternatives? I'm really worried it is going to trash my new kitchen :(

The plumber should of had the underfloor pipe pressurised when screed was being laid
And laying tiles on wet screed is just silly the only way to get moisture out is out of grout as said and will leave white marks all over it
Best thing to do is late up the tiles and let the floor dry
I know it's not what you wanted to hear

The plumber should of had the underfloor pipe pressurised when screed was being laid
And laying tiles on wet screed is just silly the only way to get moisture out is out of grout as said and will leave white marks all over it
Best thing to do is late up the tiles and let the floor dry
I know it's not what you wanted to hear

Is there no alternative? Can I not just leave it switched off for a few weeks to slowly seep out?

First, I would have the UFH tested and left under pressure for a few days to see if there is any pressure drop. Do not rely on the boiler pressure gauge - disconnect piping from boiler.

If there are no leaks detected then try and run the UFH system at @ 30C and see if the water dries up. There may be moisture in the screed still. In that case you do not want to have the screed heated with 50C water, it may cause problems with it drying out too quick.

If the UFH system is not leaking, then you may have greater problems with tiling over a screed with that much moisture seeping through the grout / tile joints

It was for less than a week. Both builder and tiler said it was enough :(

They where very wrong

You could try removing all the grout and leave for a month or so
The groat will discolour and go patchy white anyway I'd think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking underfloor pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it. There's an in-ceiling speaker where water was dripping from, and there were slower drips coming from a...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
C
I live in an ex local authority end terrace house. I am unsure if I have an underground leak from a water pipe? Scottish Water tell me they can't help as there is no loss of water pressure and it's beyond the pavement. The tarmac at both corners are often damp, the front corner looks like the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock