Search the forum,

Discuss Low water pressure High bills. HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cameronmu917772

Hi guys.

First off i am not a plumber although i have a little experience with heating systems etc.

To the point: I have a combi boiler (around 14 years old) I can not pressurise the system though.
The mains pressure has been tested by scottish water and with a secondary pump was clocked at 1.3bar.
So the mains feeds a hopper tank in the loft witch then supplies the boiler. I suspect as it is gravity fed this has led to the fact i cannot top up the pressure? (that is a 0 on the boilers gauge)

Not only this but as i have a prepayment meter installed i seem to be using up to £10 a day/day and half just trying to heat the property. After i investigated i found there was zero loft insulation and intact a false ceiling has been installed around a foot below the original. I have been on a number of sites etc to try and rectify the problems I'm having and my land lord has agreed to install a new boiler once scottish water have fixed the mains problem. But this seems to be taking an age and in fact I'm considering moving out and paying a higher rent as it will most likely work out cheeper than loading up the card with cash for it all to be sucked up on what seems like nothing.

The meter in the cupboard looks to me to be ok on the inlet side of things although there seems to be a 22ml pipe on the outlet and a t piece leading off of that to a 15ml both that go under the floor. what is this about? I will attach a couple pics to help you understand.

Its perplexing me and the amount of cut pipes and cables running in and out of the cupboard it is anyones quest what bodge it type plumbers have attempted to do over the years.

Thanks for your time in advance and please ask if i have left anything out.

So the mains feeds a hopper tank in the loft witch then supplies the boiler. I suspect as it is gravity fed this has led to the fact i cannot top up the pressure? (that is a 0 on the boilers gauge)

The meter in the cupboard looks to me to be ok on the inlet side of things although there seems to be a 22ml pipe on the outlet and a t piece leading off of that to a 15ml both that go under the floor. what is this about?

Thanks for your time in advance and please ask if i have left anything out.

Are you just here to antagonise people or do you actually have anything helpful to put forward.
There is a word people use for people like you!

What he's meaning is we're trying to work out what your question is. What is it exactly you want us to answer?

what do you want advice on ?

It reads like you're telling a story but not finishing it.

How can we help you ?

Last edited:
Are you just here to antagonise people or do you actually have anything helpful to put forward.
There is a word people use for people like you!

Don't be a dick. I've had a beer or two and I'm really trying to be nice.

Ask a a question ffsm

OK.
I had thought i explained everything i wanted to know but i may not know enough about the system that is in place here to ask the right question. sorry.
I can try to finish my story.

What i would like to know is what is causing my gas usage to be so high, and is the reason i can't top up the pressure because it is fed by a tank in the loft?

Can i resolve the problem by fitting a pump to the boilers water supply. as in after the tank and before the boiler?

Again i apologise. This has been on my wick for almost 3 months now and i can't seem o get a straight answer out of any of the tradesmen up my way.

You need to check the incoming mains pressure. It varies around the country. Whereabouts in the uk are you?

yeah I'm in fife literally St Andrews.
I had Scottish water come out and test the pressure because the plumber that came round said there isn't any point in fitting a new boiler unless it is at 1.5
I then discovered that the flat below me has a small basement that is filled with water that is flowing out of the wall. so that is to be fixed at some point. and my current pressure as tested was 1.3

Cant say i do. I would imagine less though.
Is it not irrelevant though as i have a hopper tank? it must be around 60 to 80L
The mains comes into the house then has a pump to boost it into the tank in the loft.
that then feeds the hot water for the house.

don't worry about it guys i have lost interest in this anyway.
Away to get a new place sorted tomorrow.
thanks anyway

What happened there. .?

I sort of understand what he wanted' but there are no questions.

All I can make out is.......

14yr old combi with 0 at the pressure gauge
Water tank in the loft
£10 a day spent on a pre paid meter (gas or electric????)
Pipes and cables going everywhere
False ceiling
And basement is flooded in the property below

Answers on a postcard please

All I can make out is.......

14yr old combi with 0 at the pressure gauge
Water tank in the loft
£10 a day spent on a pre paid meter (gas or electric????)
Pipes and cables going everywhere
False ceiling
And basement is flooded in the property below

Answers on a postcard please

Blew my mind that did, I felt bewildered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low water pressure High bills. HELP! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock