Search the forum,

Discuss Low water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Hi lads,
I hope you all are ok.

i was wondering if anyone could help me out and give me some solutions on how to solve the low water pressure.

System: sealed system,
Boiler: condensing boiler, British gas
532/i
373 FD 690
GC no. 47.406.02
Serial No. 05703

Problem: once you open the downstairs kitchen tap or the tap in the extension ( any tap ), but in the same time another tap upstairs the pressure drops a lot. I understand that when a boiler does 15lpm then you will get only half but the pressure is not even half its very very little. There is no kinked pipes/hoses and filters are clean. It's just looks like the boiler is not capable of providing enough pressure.

if you use the taps separately without opening any other tap it's fine.
All isolation valves are not full bore.

Now, my question is there any chance to solve it, if so how?

- do you require a more powerful boiler with more kw ?
- could be the boiler undersized for this property ? ( 2 bathrooms )
- can you install a boost pump of Stuart Turner before the boiler ( flomate mains boost extra ) of Stuart Turner ? Or Iboost better idea ?

The customer hasn't got enough money to install a new boiler and therefore he was looking for a booster pump.

I would appreciate if anyone has got a solution for me.

Thnak you very much for you help

kind regrads

ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Its an age old problem with combis and par for the course.
Even a 40kw would take a performance hit with 2 taps open.
Have you measured the flow with a weir-cup ?

Hey Phill,

Thank you for text.

I've measured and I had around 11-12lpm but as mentioned earlier once I open the tap upstairs it goes down to Chinatown :)

Could I solve the issue with a mains booster pump which is installed before the boiler ?

Or do you have a different solution ?

Hey Phill,

Thank you for text.

I've measured and I had around 11-12lpm but as mentioned earlier once I open the tap upstairs it goes down to Chinatown :)

Could I solve the issue with a mains booster pump which is installed before the boiler ?

As above, measure it.

Measure the flow with a weir cup and the pressure ( with a gauge ).

Measure the flow on the cold main into the house at the first draw off point and measure the pressure there too.

That will give you an idea if there's an issue in the house somewhere. It's always a good idea to start with knowing what's supplying the system in my opinion

Last edited:
So at the taps you can only really expect 4-5 LPM in my opinion !

Is that about right ?

That's roughly what I get not much more I'd even say 2/3liters

What's the way of increasing ?
Pump ?

You'll still be sharing the amount the combi can give out.

Even if you managed to increase the flow through the Boiler ( some have restriction by design)
you can only get a 35 deg rise at the flow rate the MF's give, so the water at each draw off point will be a lot cooler than you desire. That Boiler I think, is 12.75 LPM.

My opinion is, you've got the wrong set up if you want to draw two or more taps at a time.

Last edited:
You'll still be sharing the amount the combi can give out.

Even if you managed to increase the flow through the Boiler ( some have restriction by design)
you can only get a 35 deg rise at the flow rate the MF's give, so the water at each draw off point will be a lot cooler than you desire. That Boiler I think, is 12.75 LPM.

My opinion is, you've got the wrong set up if you want to draw two or more taps at a time.

Thank you very much for your help and advise.
What would you suggest to the customer ?
What could be done to make it working ?

If the Boiler is working as it's supposed to do, there's not a lot you can do tbh.

It won't share between two draw off's very well.

If the Boiler is working as it's supposed to do, there's not a lot you can do tbh.

It won't share between two draw off's very well.

You could fit a hot water tank and pump. Just have the boiler provide hot water to the kitchen and the tank the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock