Discuss Main 24 HE boiler fan issue - any ideas please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hightail

My boiler (4 years old and serviced regularly) stopped working last Tuesday and the flashing light combination sugested a problem with the air pressure switch. I called in a gas safe engineer and it turned out I needed a new fan. This was fitted successfully yesterday and everything was great - for 24 hours. It's just failed again and it's obviously the same problem. I'm now stuck without heating again until Monday at the earliest and probably the middle of next week. Having found this forum I'm putting out a plea - Is there anyone out there who knows what the underlying problem might be? If this new fan has broken then there must be something causing the failure and simply replacing it again will be pointless.

If anybody has any ideas I'd be really grateful as it might save a bit of time if I've picked all your brains by the time the engineer can get back. He's a great guy and certainly won't mind that I've asked for ideas.

it is your ap switch common fault around the 4 year mark,fans rarely give trouble

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a spare one with him and tried that first. It didn't fix the problem whereas replacing the fan did albeit temporarily.

I have no idea but am very grateful that you asked much as I have no idea what you mean :) It will hopefully give him a head start when I call him back on Monday. Thank you so much for answering.

fan would only be at fault if full mains going to it and the fan not moving,not hard to get right,but having vast experience of mains/performas/baxis(all the same boilers) it will be aps or venturies or something unrelated for example if its going to flame failure in view of the weather has the condensate been checked for being frozen?

for example if its going to flame failure

That may not seem a technical term to you but I know absoloutely nothing so not really sure what that means. I can tell you it is completely 'dead', doesn't even attempt to fire up and then lock out. Both this time and when it failed last week we noticed that the heating wasn't on and tried the obvious resetting procedure. The result was a big fat nothing. The engineer tried a different aps but I don't know if it was a new one. When that didn't work I guess the next stage was a new fan which worked straight off once it was fitted. I think our original aps had been put back on. If the problem is the aps why would it work with a new fan and then stop working
again 24 hours later?

in view of the weather has the condensate been checked for being frozen?
All ideas are gratefully received and I will put them all to my guy but not sure this is what caused the problem initially as the original failure happened when the temp in this area was above freezing for a few days.

might just be a blown fuse that has now blown sine it was probably close to going when the original fan was failing, simple check to have a look at at a the power source and on the boiler fuse on the control panel.

if the aps was dying a new fan may give it a quick,short lived lease of life,dont know how your guy can mis diagnose a fan unless it was dead mains on the terminals i strongly believe your aps has expired or condensates blocked have you tried re setting the boiler?

Wow, I can't thank you all enough for your replies. Apologies for not coming back sooner but the computer is downstairs and it's cold - went to bed early to keep warm.

So you say dead, is the fan running at any time?
No. There is nothing. No attempt to start up and this is identical to when we originally called him out.

unless it was dead mains on the terminals
I do have a feeling he checked this before, regretfully, telling me it was going to mean a new fan. What he said at the time didn't mean much to me but its relevance is becomming more obvious as this discussion continues.

might just be a blown fuse that has now blown sine it was probably close to going when the original fan was failing, simple check to have a look at at a the power source and on the boiler fuse on the control panel.
He did check for this the first time round before doing anything else but your explanation does make sense to me as much as I am capable of understanding the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Main 24 HE boiler fan issue - any ideas please? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock