Discuss Mains Pressure Hot water System - Brown Sludge in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

If you Google "uk water analysis lab test" you'll find many firms that offer tests of various types. If you include your county or town you'll probably find half a dozen within easy reach. The big national firms have nice websites with lots of useful information. I use a small local lab who are a bit cheaper and v. helpful with advice. The main gotcha is you can pay £50 for a test but if it's not the right test for your circumstances it won't tell you anything useful.

The landlord needs to do a legionella risk assessment and IMO identifying the nature of the brown sludge to confirm it's not a health hazard should be part of that. 55°C, for example is below the HSE recommendation for stored water, which is 60°C so that's something that might need to be considered.
It was originally 60, but we turned down to prevent risk of scolding. But we then installed Thermostatic Mixing Valves on the taps closest to boiler. But then never turned back up. I've just checked and it was actually 57, we've now turned back up to 60 and will keep it at this.
Thanks for water test idea.

Should be no plastic at all in a secondary return
Afraid to say needs changing against manufacturer instructions
Wonder if that's cause of problem?
I spoke to Hepworth at long length about this before install. They advised they have not tested on secondary return, so can't advise to use Hep2o. Therefore, their advise has to be don't use.
So in theory, there is no reason not to use.
But, I agree the plastic pipe is a contender, but why?

So in theory, there is no reason not to use.
Er, no. The manufacturers say "don't use", the reason they give for this advice is irrelevant when it counts, which is when you are wondering whether your insurance will cover the damage due to failure.

"I've never failed a ballet grading exam because I've never entered one." is true but you can't infer from it that I would pass if I did try. (Hint: I don't enter because I know I'd fail.)

Reply to Mains Pressure Hot water System - Brown Sludge in the USA Plumbers Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back