Discuss mears calculator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

which mears central heating calculator is the best there is 3 - older houses / new houses and first generation accurate one is the one based on the first generation the best ? and can anyone rercommend a good on line calculator

thanks ant

Buy the one that's most comman to yourself

It depends on what your working on.

Lots of questions there. I used to use an old one from the 1980's but eventually lost it.

Since then I bought one (from someone on here) that's in KW (my old one was BTU). I don't like the new one as much as it's a bit more complicated. I'd have to spend a couple of evenings sitting down with it to suss it properly. I think it must be based on the first generation one, but as I say in KW. It's certainly different to use.

If you want the calculator just for heat loss calcs, then there are a lot of very good free online sites (or iphone apps so I'm told).

If you want to calculate flow rates, pipe sizes ect, then yes you really do need to buy a Mears.

city plumbing website has a great free rad size calculator. last time i check it was very close to my longhand cals which supprised me. my old mears was way out.

Out of curiosity , which way was error ?

oversized.

i was told a couple of years ago by a heating design engineer (35+ years experience)that when he tested his calculations against a mears he got oversized rads by about 10-30%. I think he said upstairs rads where always near 30% oversized.

in mears defence many engineers have outdated mears calculators. cant beat long hand cals if you have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mears calculator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock