Search the forum,

Discuss Mega flow about to explode?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If valve doesn't seal when closed:-
With cold feed/combination valve open, turn off all hot water outlets and open valve again to briefly flush seating by discharge through tundish. May take 3 or 4 attempts before valve seats properly. Air pocket will be unaffected because cold water entering replaces discharge through PRV. If this fails,as above, G3 and new PRV.

If valve doesn't seal when closed:-
With cold feed/combination valve open, turn off all hot water outlets and open valve again to briefly flush seating by discharge through tundish. May take 3 or 4 attempts before valve seats properly. Air pocket will be unaffected because cold water entering replaces discharge through PRV. If this fails,as above, G3 and new PRV.

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd follow up.

I think it is the internal bubble and I need to recharge it.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and it seemed easy enough but unfortunately I think they related to Megaflo systems. I think on mine I actually need to get a pump and pump up the Schrader (see instructions attached).

I know how to drain the tank and open the PRV but would one of you kind gentlemen point out where the schrader valve is please and explain how I would open the "shut off valve"? I have attached pics to refer to.

Thanks again guys!

Ryan

IMG_1197.jpgIMG_1195.jpg

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd follow up.

I think it is the internal bubble and I need to recharge it.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and it seemed easy enough but unfortunately I think they related to Megaflo systems. I think on mine I actually need to get a pump and pump up the Schrader (see instructions attached).

I know how to drain the tank and open the PRV but would one of you kind gentlemen point out where the schrader valve is please and explain how I would open the "shut off valve"? I have attached pics to refer to.

Thanks again guys!

Ryan

View attachment 29084View attachment 29085

Ryan, it seems now you DON'T have a Megaflow, or any other internal bubble unvented unit!
You must have an external expansion unit, which is entirely a different story. You cannot work on those unvented units, in any way, unlike the Megaflows air gap replenish.
Forget about doing anything yourself. Certain tests and pressures need carried out, which is a normal part of a yearly service. Get whoever installed the unit or any G3 qualified person to service the unit as it is the law. Keeps the unit safe and the paperwork done for warranty of normally 25years.

Last edited:
There are 2 different types of your system If you don't know the difference or know what a big blue orwhirte expansion vessel looks like spend 50 or 60 quid phoning some one wh does.
I was going to say phone a friend but unfortunately if you live in city you are unlikely to know the guy next door never mind your local tradesman. Such is the modern world and don't trust checka trusted whatever cos they are shyte and only collect cash from desperates

While your Part G engineer is on site & the system is drained they will also remove & relocate the isolation valve that should not be there.

It really isn't worth playing around with these potentially dangerous systems if you don't know what you are doing, Ryan

At least for the first time, once you have seen it done & the system is corrected, it might fall under a user operation.

As per Tamz above, do your research & ask to see their Part G / unvented certificate.

The instructions on cylinder and external setup of pressure reducing valve and pressure relief valve do not appear compatible from your photo. This alone should warrant the attendance of a G3 qualified technician.

Thanks again for your input guys.

Just checking you have seen the instructions which I put in one of my pictures? The instructions talk about an internal air gap and no expansion vessel.

The person who installed it (G3 qualified) told me it had an internal air gap but he's very difficult to get hold of and is probably interested in more profitable work rather than coming back to help!

On the basis of the instructions it seems easy enough to do myself, I just needed a few pointers on how to locate the Schrader valve.

IMG_1197.jpg

You're missing the point you're not qualified to work on it

If you find a schrader valve that means you need to find a G3 plumber.
It's all about money, isn't it?

Yes and no.

What is the point of spending something money that can beeasily, and safely, done by the user?

I was advised earlier in the thread that this issomething (albeit on megaflo systems) that could be done by the user which iswhy I asked a legitimate question.

If the advice now is that I need a G3 qualified plumberthen I will of course pay for that. However finding someone who is reliable and willing to come out for asmall job like this is a different matter.

Maybe in NI you have a stream of reliable plumbers thatcharge reasonable prices! Where I amI've had 4 ... the first one ripped me off after I'd paid a £2k deposit, thenext 2 lied about being G3 qualified and the last one underpriced so has been anightmare to pin down. forgive me fortrying to avoid the b*llache of dealing with a bunch of jokers.

Fair enough. If it has an air bubble then you should replenish the air yourself. Not a hard job for anyone and perfectly safe and legal. But if it has external expansion, you must get a G3 plumber. You need to be certain what exact unit you have. I couldn't work on unvented when my G3 lapsed for a while
I have no doubt there are plenty of cowboys everywhere. You could try posting on the Looking for a Plumber part of forum asking for a local G3 plumber to sort it for you. In my area I would think it would only cost a callout charge for a complete service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mega flow about to explode?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock