Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflow thermostat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peter.beasley1@

Hi all
I had a dual element (top element always on and the bottom element on economy 7) Megaflow fitted a couple of years ago and generally it is pretty good.

However, I have already replaced the bottom thermostat twice and now it is playing up again. If I push a small screwdriver into the reset and then turn the temperature setting down and back up, it works for one night but then doesn't work the next night. It is difficult to test as it only has power between midnight and 7:00am

Any ideas why the top element seems to carry on fine while the bottom one keeps failing?

I can't believe that I have bought 2 dodgy elements as they were both Heatrea Sadia parts.

I have wondered about using a standard thermostat from a normal immersion as they are cheaper and don't have a reset. Does anybody know if this will work?

Welcome to the forum peter,
The reason they are asking about Part G, is that under the Building Regulation Part G3 what you have been doing & certainly what you are suggesting is against the Law unless you hold a Part G / un-vented hot water ticket (which shows you have been trained & assessed) & are competent to work on them.
But the real point is if you carry on you are more than likely to kill yourself along with people around you, so please do them all a favour & get a qualified engineer in who will fix it for you.

For this reason you will not get any further help from the forum apart from the following statements of fact.
1. When the high limit thermostat trips (operates) it does so because the water temperature has reached 80-85deg C. (the control stat should be set to 60 - 65max)
2. All thermostat now sold in this country have this built-in high limit.
3. The top immersion element is not designed to be left on but only used as a boost if the water heated by the cheap rate elect is used up before the following night.
4. There has been a problem with some of the thermostats in the last couple of years, had you used an approved plumber they would have almost certainly have told you that & Megaflo may well have come out & replaced it for nout.
Thats the problem with DIY !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflow thermostat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock