Search the forum,

Discuss meter capping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amy

Saw this post on another forum and thought i would ask the same..

I am getting some fittings together and have got to meter capping.

I am using BES catalogue, which parts do I need in order to satisfy any eventuality, ie, removing meter whilst performing work, removing meter then discing it, removing meter then capping it. I'm not sure which parts I need for any of these.
All info greatly appreciated.
AMY

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you look at the picture of a meter in the BES catalogue then you tell us what you think you need and we then advise on that . You will learn far more from that than us simply giving you a list .

Hello, thankyou for replying.
I guess I will require a cpl of sealing discs with appropriate washers, the meter is removed, discs with washers placed inbetween meter and supply/outlet pipe,tightened and ECV opened to test with LDF. Thats my guess, havn't got to that part in class yet, am I correct?
Wasn't sure what 'sealing adapters' on same page were for?
wasn't sure if i needed meter union nuts?
Not even sure when this would be needed?
Thx again for help.

Look at the meter . Look at the fittings and whether they are male or female and what thread size they are. You can then find the blanks in the same catalogue. Let us know what you come up with
You only need to use 1 sealing disc but your procedure is OK. What size sealing disc ?
Would you label it ?
The sealing adaptors are just blanks

Last edited:
Hi, I would use 1" size disc.
I admit I don't know about the label. I can't see any referring to it anyway.
Just looked at the sealing adaptors for blanking off, are they used on the inlet to the meter,this would I suppose enable meter to be left off?
Thx again

1" is the usual size , always worth keeping a couple of 3/4 there are still a few about .
I have never needed the sealing adaptors for anything.
You will find with meter sealing that its swings and roundabouts you may seal off and never get called back again so have lost a couple of fittings (you will have charged for them) Then you may go to a job to turn on and gain a couple this holds true for all cap offs not just meters

So everything I have said is correct including the sealing adaptors are used for sealing the inlet pipe.
When would capping the meter be performed, I understand the need to disc it if soldering, I can see we would cut and cap an appliance if faulty, why would we seal before the meter?
Some examples /scenerios would be really usefull, ie, we would use discs to enable us to solder pipe in the installation. etc sorry to keep going on and on,,just want to fully understand.
Amy

So everything I have said is correct including the sealing adaptors are used for sealing the inlet pipe.
When would capping the meter be performed, I understand the need to disc it if soldering, I can see we would cut and cap an appliance if faulty, why would we seal before the meter?
Amy

leak on the meter test nipple
Undersized installation pipework, min burner press not met
void property
meter working press too low

Last edited:
Oh yes, what about the labels, are there any? I would have thought so but can't see any.
Hehe, So I suppose I need a sealing disc with washer to use when soldering ( handy to have both sizes ). Fits inbetween meter and incoming gas supply.
And I need a sealing adaptor to seal the incoming gas supply if I get any of the problems Mikegas suggested ( again both sizes ). If this is used then obviously meter cant be reconnected. If we don't use these I would have thought we could use the above disc/washer.
I assume the brass meter caps are the same as the temporary plastic plug to stop debris entering meter when removed.
I can see the meter union nuts are needed with a sealing disc and assume these can be used exactly the same as a sealing adaptor?
Can someone confirm all above,lol
I would rather find out now,lol....THX

You don't want to disc the meter outlet when soldering. You need to remove the meter to solder (don't forget to use your bonding clamps). Once meter removed then cap the inlet and outlet of meter and put somewhere safe (best outside). Use the disc to cap when meter in place and the property is void (empty) in case some scrote breaks in and decides to nick the copper. I actually disc at the ECV in voids as it has been known for meters to be nicked. Disc meter inlet if leaking meter nipple or meter itself. Hope that helps.

Thankyou very much, it has helped. I like to really understand a topic. If you don't ask you never learn.
It's the first time I have seen 'Void' used , not covered that yet, wondered what Mike meant earlier.
Don't understand why they sell the sealing adaptors if they never used,lol.
Thx again ,
AMY...

As has been said above you remove the meter when soldering . Very important.
You could use a disc for all sorts of ID faults ie gas leak in property.
You will not buy just 1 disc , get 50 !

Hi, thx for info,, I think what I may have heard aswell was to turn off ECV , loosen meter , swivel it slightly , fit disc in a union nut on meter outlet,tighten meter back up, test with LDF with gas on , turn off ECV, then allowed to solder,,,,Agree? think I remember someone saying theres no gas coming out as we have just tested it so its safe , also the meter is safe and wont get knocked or nicked and no debris will fall in meter.Agree?

When I done my ACS all that was required when cutting into pipework and soldering was to swing out meter and cap the outlet. Leave the installation pipework open to vent to air and carry out your work. Let pipework cool and re-attach to meter outlet.
It is overkill to remove meter completely unless you are working on installation pipework close to meter.

Cap and swivel OK , I always remove completely. But swivel , fit disc and connect and test then solder I would say no.
In fact as you are learning I would forget everything you have heard other than remove the meter, you cant go wrong then !

Last edited:
you should have 3/4" disc in case the anaconda or regulator is leaking, 1" disc to blank the meter and keep electrical continuity, 1" blank caps or dust caps to put over meter outlets when the meter is removed, and also get male BS715 thread caps to screw into the meter tails while the meter is out to stop smell of gas getting into room (and also to stop anything getting into the pipes, unlikely i know)

Just a tip!

Usually if you tour around a bit you often find discarded meter and pipe blanks in the meter cupboard. I had loads of them picked up while servicing. Cap gas main inlet and both inlet and outlet to meter, make sure earth bond is fitted and line purged.

When purged cap line in meter cupboard to make sure if there is any gas left in the line you don't get a flashback.

Scares the wits out of you when you do.

NEVER solder with the meter fitted with a disc in, depending on what you have at the other end you could have both ends sealed which will cause the pressure to build up in the pipe which will blow the solder out of your joint, it is a waste of time doing it anyway, giving you more work, fit a temp cont bond, swing the meter out, fit a cap, do your soldering, put meter back and test & purge

Thankyou very much everyone, I think I have a good grasp of what to do now.... That is one more thing I can cross off my list,

Thankyou...!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to meter capping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock