Search the forum,

Discuss Mobile mechanic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

In in Slough, Betkshire area.

Got a C180 Merc, auto that won't start.

Had a chap try to fix, new ABS pump, Sorted out ECU.

Now the diagnostics saying CAN communication issue.

Need someone who can fix it once & all.

Chap I had now unreliable. Not turning up etc.

Any contacts would be great.

Thx

Rct

[h=3]CAN System Faults[/h]CAN-compliant vehicles are just as vulnerable to electronic faults as older vehicles. Though CAN systems use fewer wires and fewer connectors to save weight and cost, they also use more modules and more complicated modules. Communication problems can occur if module connectors become corroded or loose, if wires become grounded, shorted or break, or system voltage is below specifications. Some modules may even forget their settings or locations if the battery is disconnected or goes dead.
On some Chrysler minivans, for example, the automatic climate control system will quit working if battery power is lost. This happens because the electric stepper motors that control the position of the blend doors forget their locations. The system has to be put into a "relearn" mode to re-establish all the motor locations and settings.
Various kinds of problems can occur on other CAN-equipped vehicles when the battery is disconnected or goes dead. The modules in the CAN system require a certain amount of voltage for their Keep Alive Memory settings. If this is lost, the module will forget these settings and may not function properly until it has time to relearn the lost data. In some cases, this requires a special relearn procedure using a scan tool because the module can't do the relearn by itself. And on some vehicles, the module may go to sleep and not wake up until it is pinged by a scan tool or the main gateway module (usually the body control module). Relearning procedures typically require a factory scan tool or a professional level aftermarket scan tool.
One of the features of CAN and other network systems is that modules can send and receive "ok" signals to let the main control module know if they are working or not. In theory, this makes diagnostics easier. On the other hand, it also means that one misbehaving module may generate enough noise to disrupt the entire network causing a complete shutdown of the vehicle!
When a serial bus communication problem occurs, it will usually set a "U" diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and turn on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). Depending on the fault, the vehicle may or may not start, or it may only operate in a "limp-in" mode with limited capabilities. Loss of communication between the engine controller and transmission controller (code U1026 on a GM, for example) may put the transmission into a limp-in mode where it will only operate in one or two gears.
Loss of communication codes may indicate a wiring problem on the bus, or a fault with a module. Isolating the fault may require unplugging modules one at a time until the fault is found. Just remember that all modules on a bus network need three things to function properly: power, ground and a serial data connection.
When diagnosing bus or module communication problems, you usually start by checking for voltage at the module, then the ground connection, and finally the data line. If all three are good but the module isn't working, the module needs to be replaced.
On GM applications, a code U100 or U1255 means a general loss of communication on the data bus. With a Tech 2 scan tool, you can go to Diagnostic Circuit Check, then Message Monitor to see a list of active modules and compare it to the list of modules that are supposed to be on when the key is on.
To minimize the parasitic current drain on the battery when the vehicle is off, a "sleep" signal is sent to the modules on the network. Some may remain on for a short period of time after the ignition is switched off (air bag module, for example), and some may never go to sleep (anti-theft module and keyless entry receiver, for example) but most are put into a sleep mode to save battery power. If the sleep signal is never sent, or a module fails to recognize the sleep signal, it may remain active and pull power from the battery. Depending on the current draw, this may run down the battery if the vehicle sits for a period of time.

Looks expensive Jay.

It's a nightmare!! The cars only worth a couple of grand.

Just the low mileage that makes me wanna keep it

Had a chap do the abs pump & fix ECU

Now diagnostics says can comm issue.

It's dead, engine start when overridden

Now mechanic gone quiet, I owe him money so not sure why!

The original chap came good. Cost me £400.

All electrics, SAM, ECU reprogrammed. New ABS pump.

Might keep it now, only 56k on the clock. Just gotta drive it rather than letting it sit for months, hard lesson that.

Mum needs a new gas cooker. Would you be interested in connecting it? She's in Langley.

No probs if you're busy.

Working in Bournemouth all week and back at the weekend......when does she need it?

Not sure, I gotta buy it first but sick n bad this weekend, no work, feel carp.

I'll let you know what she says if that's ok? Thx for your reply. She'll pay cash ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mobile mechanic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock