Discuss Moving or raising radiator to fit a larger waste pipe behind it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MikeFM

Hi all,

New guy here with a fairly specific query. Hope someone can help. If this is in the wrong section please let me know.
I'm the facility manager of an old town hall building. We have a persistent problem with a first floor toilet that is very prone to blocking. The reason is that the waste pipe is too narrow (20mm) to allow its 'load' to be flushed efficiently. The pipe is run behind a radiator so there currently isn't space to fit a wider pipe without raising or moving the radiator. Added to this, the pipe runs more or less horizontally along a skirting board for about 5 feet, then has two right angles to negotiate before it connects to a wider pipe.
In the past, a macerator has been installed to break up the solids but this has failed to solve the issue of constant blocking.
So the question here is, what is the best/quickest/cheapest way to move, raise or replace the radiator, ideally without draining the whole system, to create enough space to run a larger pipe, say 40-50mm that can run diagonally from the toilet to the floor without the need for any right angles?

Please see pics for illustration.

PS We need to retain the some form of heating but open to suggested replacement radiator units.

IMG001.jpg
IMG002.jpg
IMG003.jpg

that overflow pipe is from a macerator ?????? you sure its not just an overflow from the cisterns ???????????

The distances you're talking a maceratorshould cope. I suspect it wasn't installed to spec

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Mike.

Without a photo of the macerator I`m gonna guess that the one you have doesn`t like 22mm pipe and is designed for 32mm discharge pipe, it`s the ladies cubicle, the toilet paper is "Air blown" and the concealed cistern is small.

What I do know is that you need to remove the 2 sharp 90`s at the end of the run and check you have a fall on that pipe of at least 1:100.

Any chance of pictures of the macerator you have, the how the discharge pipe is routed inside the cubicle and is it solely for the toilet only.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving or raising radiator to fit a larger waste pipe behind it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock