Search the forum,

Discuss Multipoint heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gonzo1489

Hello guys,

Posted this on the plumbing forum but thought I might try on here as well.

I need to replace my mothers failing Chaff multipoint water heater and was wondering which would be the best model to replace it with. Looked at the following- Main/Volkera and Ariston. here current is a balanced flue. What are the benefits of switching to a fanned flue.

Appreciate any advice as I don't have a great deal of experience with these.

Very helpful thanks. I meant in the plumbing forum on this site rather than the heating forum.

The main is a balanced flue but is a bit bigger than what you have so will it fit in same space ? what is wrong with Chaff ? parts still available but gas valve is expensive, and can you fit a new one in same position that has a power supply ?

Is the balanced flue better than converting to a fanned flue? The existing heater is 20 years old and my mother has had numerous plumbers in to fix various different parts on it recently so it is time for a new one. Plenty of room for either and power available locally. Just really need to know the best flue option and the most reliable make. Can get an Ariston 25KW with fanned flue for ÂŁ400. I'm not gas safe so I will be getting someone in to fit it. Thanks.

You need to speak to your installer with regards to the flue position as things have changed since the chaff was installed, Ariston is a smaller unit but the Main is about ÂŁ50 cheaper.

Thanks for your help jts but nobody seems to want to answer the question of which is the best. I can put a new flue in wherever I like and brick up the old.
If it was on combi's or system boilers I wouldn't even be posting. Perhaps that is the problem. Multipoints are not in great demand.
My mother has two systems in the house as it is run as a B&b. The multipoint runs the 1st floor bathroom and an old potterton profile runs the CH and heats the hot water cylinder (vented), which supplies the ground floor wet room via a Stuart and Turner pump and kitchen sink hot water draw off.
Which is the best multipoint heater on the market?
Many thanks.

I have always liked the Corvec Britony multiponts, whether they be BF or FF.

Like you say they aren't in great demand, when compared to boilers, so you won't find many installers who have knowledge of the wide range available.
We tend to fit Vokera Aqua Novas, which seem ok, don't know how they compare to others though as I've not experienced any others.
Another option you've got is to install an intergas combi and just activate the hot water part until other boiler packs in and then you can link it to the central heating and hot water cylinder.

Last edited:
Thank you to all that have tried to give positive advice. Whats with Howsie near the top is anyone's guess. I think I will go with my gut instinct and hope for the best. Thanks again, The Gonz to my friends (real name Mark-how boring!)

provided the flue position meets the requirments i would stick with the balanced flue
always best to keep it as simple as posible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Multipoint heater in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock