Discuss My Basic / Silly / Moronic Questions Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
None of these justify a thread so I'll keep them in the naughty corner

1. You know when some of the jets on a shower head come out at a random angle so you lose full coverage when you stand under it and maybe get an eyefull when you turn it on? What causes that and how would you fix it? Is it similar in cause to the jets on drinking fountains which seem prone to go mental before long?

2. Temp earth continuity bonding. Do you guys actually use it? And are you meant to use it when breaking any run of metal pipe i.e. even undoing a fitting
to remove a tap?

3. If a stopcock or gate valve is really seized, how safe are you generally (speaking from your experience) to wd40 it and give it some serious welly with a tool for leverage or are you running a real risk?

Stay tuned for more...

None of these justify a thread so I'll keep them in the naughty corner

1. You know when some of the jets on a shower head come out at a random angle so you lose full coverage when you stand under it and maybe get an eyefull when you turn it on? What causes that and how would you fix it? Is it similar in cause to the jets on drinking fountains which seem prone to go mental before long?

2. Temp earth continuity bonding. Do you guys actually use it? And are you meant to use it when breaking any run of metal pipe i.e. even undoing a fitting
to remove a tap?

3. If a stopcock or gate valve is really seized, how safe are you generally (speaking from your experience) to wd40 it and give it some serious welly with a tool for leverage or are you running a real risk?

Stay tuned for more...

1/limescale remedy clean it or get water softener
2/continuity bond is for when breaking into a gas pipe/fitting
3/giving it some serious welly is asking for a flood

sorry water tight I am bored today as this is the first day I have had off for 4 weeks, but I aint that bored that I am willing to answer these questions.
these questions are way beyond needing any form of training to answer them, therefore I suggest you look at your questions and try your figure out the answers for yourself, then post what you think, the answer should be, and we can tell you if your right or wrong if we feel like it.
By the way way I am not getting snotty or arsy, I just think you should use some of the common sense you were born with
regards
Mike

My electrician told me there is no need to supplimentary bond anymore as of 17th edition. ?? any sparks on here?

My electrician told me there is no need to supplimentary bond anymore as of 17th edition. ?? any sparks on here?

That’s quite right if electrical installation is to current standards
Infact many think it is dangerous as it lulls people into a false sense of security

Not strictly true.

A test must be carried out between pipework and earth.

If this proves ok, then ALL circuits in the bathroom must be RCD protected.

If the above are met then there is no need to supplementary bond between pipes.;)

whenever someone feels the need to say they are not getting arsey it's because they are
it's like starting a sentence with "no offence but..."
But yeah, i'm bored too, it's mainly why I wrote the thread. I suspected the answer to the first one but doubted it because the other day all of the showers in my gym simultaneously had developed the same prob. So I thought cocked up maintenance might have caused it.

The second one was more a case of wondering how much people actually bothered with it because I got the impression at college nobody did.

And as for the third I was fishing for stories to see how much people had or hadn't got away with. But yeah, they were stupid questions really. I only wish I'd indicated that in the title.

i bond the pipes by holding on to both while working on the fitting with the other. tehe.

Has anyone gotten a shock off pipework where eath continuity is not complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My Basic / Silly / Moronic Questions Thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock