Discuss Need confirmation that I have found my stopcock in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All. I am trying to locate the stopcock in my property. After a good few hours searching I think I may have found it - but would like some advice from plumbers / DIY experts. Is what I have found actually a stopcock? Can you take a look at the pictures attached and tell me what you think? I found it tucked away behind some drawers in my kitchen. I suppose that the easiest way of finding out if this is indeed a stopcock would be to turn it and see if it turns off my water. I did try that however - but it's very stiff so thought it might be sensible to get advice from this forum before proceeding further. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• 20230710_110904.jpg
    20230710_110904.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230710_110921.jpg
    20230710_110921.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 12
It certainly looks like it is, and like you say, turn off to confirm. Perhaps apply some maintenance spray? Be careful, as you may get a drip from the gland nut afterwards, usually sorted by tightening the gland nut back up.

Slacken the gland nut beneath the handle half a turn (it'll leak) then work the handle anti and clockwise a bit at a time (maybe with pliers) until it works free.

Reply to Need confirmation that I have found my stopcock in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock