Discuss Neighbours Flue opinion needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I'm looking for advise as I'm a little too close to this issue and need an impartial eye.

Last year my neighbours installed a new boiler with a flue that terminates vertically at roof level.

Initially I wasn't to concerned, but when it started to plume I noticed that it was blowing downwards towards my two rear bedroom windows rather than away.

When I spoke to my neighbour about this he said there was nothing that can be done unless he swapped to a horizontal flue and ran a diverter. I wasn't kean on this idea as that would mean the horizontal flue was cross the boundary and effectively be on my property. (he installed the boiler himself as he's a gas safe engineer)

He said he would look at it and get back to me, which he never did.

Now that it's winter again I can see how the gasses are reaching my windows again.

Could someone offer their advice on this installation? I've posted two links below, one leads to a gallery to the flue from one of my second story windows, the other leads to a video of it pluming (not as bad as it can get but was the best I could capture)

Flue1

Plume video

To clarify the extension you can see is my neighbours, the windows and everything to the 'left' of it is mine.

I want to make sure I'm not overreacting (or be told that I am lol) before I go to Gas Safe or the Environmental health about this as im concerned that if my windows are open that exhaust gasses from that flue could enter my property.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask for this kinda advise but I thought I'd come direct to people in the know.

Hell yeah, it’s a vertical flue. Now doesn’t a vertical chimney sound flipping stupid

Hello bogrodder,

The most stupid thing about the term `Flue` being changed to `Chimney` is the fact that ALL `Flues` are supposed to be called a `Chimney`.

Even a horizontal Fanned Flue through a wall is also supposed to be called a `Chimney` !

When the other Gas Engineers and I were told this at the Training & Assessment Centre / College in 2012 there was uproar !

Chris

Hello bogrodder,

The most stupid thing about the term `Flue` being changed to `Chimney` is the fact that ALL `Flues` are supposed to be called a `Chimney`.

Even a horizontal Fanned Flue through a wall is also supposed to be called a `Chimney` !

When the other Gas Engineers and I were told this at the Training & Assessment Centre / College in 2012 there was uproar !

Chris

Regardless of what has been introduced, they will always be referred to as flues and will until fossil fuels are given the axe, probably around 2035

It’s industry standard and we’re all set in ours ways

Hello again bogrodder,

As I mentioned in a previous message I have been calling a Flue a Flue for nearly 50 Years and unless I have to use the term `Chimney` in a Contract Specification or during a Gas ACS Assessment I will still use the term `Flue`.

Even then the fact that this `EU forced change` is so ridiculous and would not only be known to so few people but also be very confusing to readers that I would have to write something like `Boiler Chimney` [Flue].

Chris

handbags.jpg

Reply to Neighbours Flue opinion needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back