Discuss Neighbours Flue over the Boundary in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newhomeowner

Hi, I've just bought a property and am currently having work done to the place as it was in a bad state.

I wish to rebuilt the current side garage for use as habitable room, however my neighbours bolier flue over hangs it. I tried to contact the neighbour by knocking on his door and so did my builder but with no luck.

I then wrote a letter them asking if they could move the flue as i was hoping to complete the work. I then received two abusive phone call basically saying that he would not do anything.

Please can anyone give me advice on what i should do? Bearing i would like to salvage some kind of relationship as they will be my neighbours if possible?

Thanks

doesnt seem like there interested if there been abusive , best to go down the legal path am afraid

Have you discussed this with your local authority planning department?

Best place to start imo.

Once you are completely sure of your ground, send a Recorded Delivery letter with a polite request to change the flue.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, find a solicitor who offers a free initial advice session, and get an estimate of cost re the legal route.

It might be cheaper to offer some financial help with getting the flue changed, i.e. than pay a solicitor around £250 p.h. to deal with the matter, unless you have some legal cover included in your house insurance for this kind of issue - worth checking for that.

Thanks for your replies, I am definitely going to see the council and get some advice.

I will probably send another polite letter asking them to move the flue and offer to pay labour cost if they use my builder and see where this get me.

If this fails then i guess legal route will be my only option.

Anyone have any experience/advice about how i would do this.

If were you, I would try and get a conversation with an experienced planning officer - they will know the chapter and verse re the regulations around this issue, and should be able to give you some indication of what is required to gain compliance. Take some photographs with you if calling in, but might be better to telephone first and sound out the best person to speak to.

Try and avoid the legal route if possible, the cost could escalate out of all proportion and serve to reinforce further bad feeling between you and your neighbour.

Thanks Peter, i will definitely take your advice and try to avoid the legal route.

Thanks Peter, i will definitely take your advice and try to avoid the legal route.

There is also a requirement in English law for any serious conflict with neighbours to be disclosed pre-contract when selling a property, and this can make a property more difficult to sell, and negatively affect the price.

Diplomacy is definitely the way to go - good luck with it.

I would like to add:
think of it from his view, you are asking him to pay a fee for moving something which has already been installed and working fine, take time off work and possibly have no heating whilst work is done, so a lot of disruption.

If it was me I would offer to pay (wether he uses your builder or not) he does not know your builder and may not trust him.
And try to speak to him, rather then letters.

He is in the wrong for having it on your property but moving it might be a hard job

It might also be a possibility that the original owner of your property gave permission for the flue to be there either verbally or in writing.

he will have to move it once youve bricked it into a wall ;)

nothing worse than living next to somebody you hate, id offer to pay the full cost and try to avoid legal letters etc till your sure theres no other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Neighbours Flue over the Boundary in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock