Search the forum,

Discuss New bath instalation issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ashtonjay

I swapped customers bath a few weeks ago from a 1700 to a 1400 shower bath
the bath was turned around 90 degrees so the new bath didn't completley fit under the tiles ( i hate making baths fit to already tiled bathrooms)
i sealed it and even put a quadrant bead around it to make sure it was properly sealed but the customer now says it is leaking in the corner but the baths not moved and the customer cant see any visible splits in any seals etc etc

any ideas ?

i had a feeling they might have issues as the walls are really badly tiled (by the customers husband)

cheers

is the corner of the tiling grouted? it should be sillicone.

sounds like its getting behind the tiles.

If the tiles do not overlap the bath it will leak and be a continuous problem that won't go away especially if there using it for showering.

I'm not aware of anything to recommend, you will probably have to bodge it.

I agree badly tiled bathroom and a bit of a bodge,

not by you but rubbish tiling, unfortunately your the one having to put this right.
Water probably getting behind tiles as been said

I have read this and its a bit like me in the 1980's when i contracted
for daft things I wish I had not. All i can say is you will not do a bath
under existing tiles again will you ? and never do part contracts.

there are two ways out here
1. bite the bullett and go back and redo it all properly - and maybe get some extra dosh for making it right by retiling over the top of the existing ......my approach

2. stand by what you have done and thats it..my partners usual idea

let us know what you are going to do - there is no right or wrong here

centralheatking

As long as you have done what the customer wanted ( a bodged job) and are sure that your seals are not leaking your conscience should be clear.

I assume you pointed out the rubbish tiling at the outset.

As long as you have done what the customer wanted ( a bodged job) and are sure that your seals are not leaking your conscience should be clear.

I assume you pointed out the rubbish tiling at the outset.

yeah i pointed it out
for me the main issue is not being able to get all of the bath under the exsisting tile lip as obviously tiling down to the bath is the best situation to be in

It's the customers problem, not yours. They asked you to do a botched job which you have done to the best of your ability. You pointed out the pitfalls i.e. the poor tiling, Quote them for tiling over existing tiles to bring the new tiles down to the bath edge, it is the only way the problem will be rectified properly.

Good luck.

Can you find the source of the leak by spraying water at the bottom row of tiles only at first? Then, if you find it only leaks with the water higher up, you can show the problem is in the tiling.

So far, you haven't even found the leak, so you only have the customer's word.

Can you find the source of the leak by spraying water at the bottom row of tiles only at first? Then, if you find it only leaks with the water higher up, you can show the problem is in the tiling.

So far, you haven't even found the leak, so you only have the customer's word.

When the op fitted this bath two years ago, it was his responsibility to showerproof the wall, I bet he didn't silicone up the internal corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New bath instalation issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards meaning that it pools in the corner and quickly starts leaking through gaps in the shower screen onto the floor rather than into the bath. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
I have a vanity basin and concealed cistern toilet to install. In place if a wall hung basin and toilet in a down stairs cloak room. The only problem is it's a tiled floor and the original toilet has been fit then tiled around. So when I remove they'll be a hole in the floor tiling. The new...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock