Discuss New boiler, rads keep getting cold in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi we had a baxi18 installed June. From day one the plumber could not get all rads hot and to stay on. They came back and changed pump, no difference changed all trvs. Now, the problem is this They all come on and are hot after about 45mins one goes cold and does not come back on . There are two that come on and work as they should. The bathroom comes on and cools down alot but is hot on left trv side cold on right. The others soon cool down and only heat up a bit. Now I realise trvs work on ambient temperatures but my lovely old system never went off with the westherm trvs these are tower it is a conventional system. The plumber is a lovely lad but I rang him and asked what it could be and he said he didn't know when they came back on the 3rd occasion they got them all going but went before they went off. We have now paid for the new system, new pump and trvs. Cant keep paying out. We are elderly and stressed. They seemed to struggle balancing it as as soon as one warmed up another went off and they rebalanced and then another went cold. Any ideas

Did you have TRVs before?
Could it be a one pipe system?
my lovely old system never went off with the westherm trvs these are tower
It still seems like a balancing issue, all depends on how quickly they’re balancing them. If they’ve had to replace the pump and trv’s at your cost then it suggests to me they don’t really know what they’re doing - nice lad or not.

It still seems like a balancing issue, all depends on how quickly they’re balancing them. If they’ve had to replace the pump and trv’s at your cost then it suggests to me they don’t really know what they’re doing - nice lad or not.
True
But often if a system is that difficult to balance its due to bad design.
Multiple rads in micribore
Old rad pipes linked together under boards
Single pipe or part single pipe etc etc

Things that should never have worked but somehow did and a sight alteration throws it all out.

Hi we had a baxi18 installed June. From day one the plumber could not get all rads hot and to stay on. They came back and changed pump, no difference changed all trvs. Now, the problem is this They all come on and are hot after about 45mins one goes cold and does not come back on . There are two that come on and work as they should. The bathroom comes on and cools down alot but is hot on left trv side cold on right. The others soon cool down and only heat up a bit. Now I realise trvs work on ambient temperatures but my lovely old system never went off with the westherm trvs these are tower it is a conventional system. The plumber is a lovely lad but I rang him and asked what it could be and he said he didn't know when they came back on the 3rd occasion they got them all going but went before they went off. We have now paid for the new system, new pump and trvs. Cant keep paying out. We are elderly and stressed. They seemed to struggle balancing it as as soon as one warmed up another went off and they rebalanced and then another went cold. Any idea

What make are the TRVs?

Were they replaced with the same make?.

Is the boiler still firing when they don't come back on?

Even though TRVs have a very small temperature hysteresis (ambient temp difference between fully open and fully shut) of around 1.5C to 2C they are still or should be relatively slow acting due to the volume of fluid in their actuators, they should not just act in a on/off manner, at least mine don't, presently using EPH make but did have Myson nd a few other types and all worked similarly and maintain very reasonable room temperatures as long as the boiler is firing continuously or cycling on/off in the case of a oil fired boiler.
I have them installed horizontally on the rad returns to sense a more representative room temperature and also, even though they are all bi-directional, installing them horizontally ensures that the water flow is "proper" ie from under the valve seat.
Of course if installed vertically on the rad flow (as most are) then flow is proper as well whether they are uni or bi directional.

Also just check that the actuators are properly attached to the valve body, ensure actuator fully opened ie anticlockwise to index 5 or whatever then ensure knurled nut fully (hand/finger) tightened (clockwise).

Also read somewhere that some TRVs had chromium bodied actuators (normally plastic) which were transferring the heat by conduction from the water in the rad and obviously would then take hours to reopen after closing off, no good.

What make are the TRVs?

Were they replaced with the same make?.

Is the boiler still firing when they don't come back on?

Even though TRVs have a very small temperature hysteresis (ambient temp difference between fully open and fully shut) of around 1.5C to 2C they are still or should be relatively slow acting due to the volume of fluid in their actuators, they should not just act in a on/off manner, at least mine don't, presently using EPH make but did have Myson nd a few other types and all worked similarly and maintain very reasonable room temperatures as long as the boiler is firing continuously or cycling on/off in the case of a oil fired boiler.
I have them installed horizontally on the rad returns to sense a more representative room temperature and also, even though they are all bi-directional, installing them horizontally ensures that the water flow is "proper" ie from under the valve seat.
Of course if installed vertically on the rad flow (as most are) then flow is proper as well whether they are uni or bi directional.
New trvs Tower. Old ones westherm. Boer doesn't go on and off plumber says that's OK.

Reply to New boiler, rads keep getting cold in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock