Search the forum,

Discuss New business, new to forum. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumberpaul83

Hi everyone.

I'm a plumber that's been in the game for 10 years now and have decided to start up on my own.

One thing that I'm struggling to find out is how much the going hourly rate is. I don't want to be greedy but on the other hand I don't want to be too cheap. A fair middle of the road price is what I'm looking for. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. From what Iv'e seen so far it seems to vary a lot depending on the area of the country. I am based in north Leeds so any information on rates in this area would be particularly useful.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

welcome to the big wide world of running a business. I've just started up myself back in April, based in East Leeds. competition already lol. how are you finding it going, im still trying to establish a basic hourly rate. I normally price a job on its own merits.

Thanks everyone. I'm just in the process of starting up so getting leaflets out and advertising. Got a bit of subcontracting to my old firm for now until I get my own work going. It's hard to know a price that's competitive without undercutting everyone so just trying to ask around where I can to get an idea.

Have you managed to find plenty work since you started Macca?

Welcome and best of luck PlumberPaul83. Can be the best job in the world and the worst job in the world as you would know. Ditto for self employment, but I wouldn't want to work for an employer again (not that any employer would take me on, but that's beside the point.)

Re pricing, the best way to learn is the hardest - experience will tell you whether you're getting it right. Remember most people aren't too bothered about price - much more concerned about your honesty, whether they can trust you in their house and whether you can do a good job for a fair price. A fiver or a tenner here and there will not bother them. If it does, they're probably best avoided in any case.

Good luck!!

well said dontknowitall, you win some you loose some. I quoted a landlord the other to replace a pan connector on the back of a toilet in one of his properties. I quoted £35 parts and labour. The bloke asked me if I could do it any cheaper. Guess what I said ????

Thanks everyone. I'm just in the process of starting up so getting leaflets out and advertising. Got a bit of subcontracting to my old firm for now until I get my own work going. It's hard to know a price that's competitive without undercutting everyone so just trying to ask around where I can to get an idea.

Have you managed to find plenty work since you started Macca?

Hi Paul I've only been going since April and its not bad at the moment, spending a bit on advertising. Even got leaflets printed and gone around posting them myself when nothing on. Is a bit easier for me though because I still work full time for a company as well, so I have a wage every week. Just hard work squeezing jobs in weekends and nights, plus the odd one during works time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New business, new to forum. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Hello, First post, be gentle! Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Roca The Gap D-Trit close-couple toilet with integrated macerator in my secondary...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock