Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss New Central Heating System Too Hot in Hall / Too Cold in Lounge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rialto

We've recently had a new central heating system installed with a combi boiler and a wireless thermostat in the hall. All the radiators (except the one in the hall which is permanently on) have TRVs. The problem is the hall radiator is far too hot and it's not possible to turn it down manually. The radiator in the lounge seems to have a mind of its own, it comes on at first but then soon switches off when the room is still cold. It has now started to come on occasionally when the room is warm due to the gas fire being on. Most of the time though the lounge rad is stone cold and we leave it on its highest setting of 5. I've tried turning it off and turning it up to 5 - it comes on for a while but then soon turns itself off.

In short, the hall rad is far too hot and the lounge rad is far too cold! Despite being a fairly large rad, we need to have the gas fire on in the lounge. Is it possible the TRV on the lounge rad is faulty (if so, is there anyway of testing it?) or are there any other likely reasons for this and also, is there anyway possible of turning down the hall rad. I understand that this rad has to be on all the time but it is ridiculously hot for such a small hall. We don't use the front door at the end of the hallway so the hall stays uncomfortably hot all the time. Ideally, the hall rad needs to be on at about 10% of its current temperature.

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

Unscrew the TRV and press the pin down a few times it might of siezed

It will be possible to turn the hall rad down with a small spanner. That may help with the lounge rad as it will force more water towards other rads. As said above, unscrew the thermostatic head from the body of the lounge TRV and check that the pin depresses and springs back easily.

If the rad in the hall is controled by the thermostat it needs adjusting so it is at about 18 degree's.
Then hopefully the rads with trv's will warm up better. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Central Heating System Too Hot in Hall / Too Cold in Lounge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My property is a 3-bed terraced with double glazing windows... It currently has no central heating, so I will get a new combi fitted...
Replies
Views
R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock