Search the forum,

Discuss New from Leeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mattle40

Hi all,
a little about me.
i recently qualified as a plumber after being a tiler for 5 years.
a friend of mine suggested I left my job as a tiler to join him and retrain in an apprenticeship to be a gas engineer, sadly after qualifying in plumbing, he "didn't require another gas engineer" so cut my qualification short as he wasn't willing to lose me for a day per week. I promptly left as I took a huge wage drop to join him for the gas qualification he promised which he went back on after having used me as cheap labour for two and a half years.

im now in no mans land, I'm out of work currently and contemplating going self employed but I really want to get the gas qualification.

so I'm basically here for advice to help in which ever direction I end up going in.

thanks

I would actually suggest you would be ideal for bathrooms given your background. May not be where you want to end up but it'll bring in the shekels and it'll give you a financial cushion while you do your gas.

Welcome along mate.

Hi mattie, welcome pal. You have a good combination there (tiler and plumber) stick with bathrooms , the gas part is honestly not all its cracked up to be , everybody's at it. A good bathroom guy is very very hard to find.

Welcome along :) Good money in bathrooms for a quality finish.

Yep agree simon, my best earners by far have been bathrooms, thats why I have stopped doing them, lol dont ask , lol

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies.
Yes i feel I'm stuck with the bathroom scene now, which is disappointing as this is what I was doing before I went for the plumbing qualification and lost a lot of money in dropped wages.
I must say I'm feeling a bit defeated to be honest and that the last 2 years were completely wasted if I don't go on to do gas, as all I've achieved is a piece of paper to say I can do what I was already doing lol.

I'd thought about going on to do unvented but it hardly seems worth it without being able to install a boiler to heat it.

Hi mattle40 and welcome to the forums......regards Turnpin:welcome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New from Leeds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Welcome again! I'm 45, a Registered Adult nurse working in busy, acute medical wards. At work, I almost constantly deal with fluids and tiny...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock