Discuss New PCB for boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I've had a string of seemingly random faults, including a leak, since a new PCB was fitted to my old boiler. The 'expert engineer' insists they're not his fault but also claims that the new PCB will put more stress on the boiler and pipework and therefore cause problems to occur. Can that possibly be right?
Thanks.

Ok, I do doubt that a new pcb will have caused any leaks, but you’d have to tell us what boiler it’s been replaced on for a start. What type of system is it?

It's not uncommon for leaks in boilers to cause water damage to PCBs and other electical components. I can't think of any scenario where a new PCB would cause a leak in an otherwise sound system.

Taken literally, "new PCB will put more stress on the boiler and pipework and therefore cause problems to occur" seems incorrect to me as long as it's the correct PCB and is installed / setup in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. My guess is that the engineer was feeling bullied by a customer who was accusing him of damaging parts of the system that he'd not touched and was trying to shut down the conversation without being impolite.

Repairs to old boilers are always a bit of a lottery. If you want certainty and a warranty get a new boiler installed. If you want to limit your risk get a fixed price repair from the manufacturer's service network.

It was covered by BG and they said it only looked five years old. It's only had 3 or 4 faults in 25 years but has had six different and seemingly unrelated ones since they first looked at it. I think the trick is not to fiddle with it while servicing - it has never been serviced and only once had a pro* touch it before this series of faults. They don't regret it, they just say they are brilliant and incapable of making mistakes. What hacked my off was that they left it not working and shortly afterwards emailed me to take out more cover saying that their "expert engineers" had fixed it and it was now working perfectly, so the cowboy who left it - didn't even put the cover back - must have reported that he'd completed the job.
* I watched that "pro" bend a lead out of sight and claim that the fan it should have been attached to needed replacing and tried to charge me hundreds of pounds when there was no actual fault.

Im surprised you found anyone willing to repair the boiler, and im sure he now regrets touching it.
It was covered by BG and they said it only looked five years old. It's only had 3 or 4 faults in 25 years but has had six different and seemingly unrelated ones since they first looked at it - a matter of weeks. I think the trick is not to fiddle with it while servicing - it has never been serviced and only once had a pro* touch it before this series of faults. They don't regret it, they just say they are brilliant and incapable of making mistakes. What hacked me off was that they left it not working but shortly afterwards emailed me to take out more cover saying that their "expert engineers" had fixed it and it was now working perfectly, so the cowboy who left it - didn't even put the cover back - must have reported that he'd completed the job.

* I watched that "pro" bend a lead out of sight and claim that the fan it should have been attached to needed replacing and tried to charge me hundreds of pounds when there was no actual fault.

A BG engineer would not leave the case of the boiler even if it was not working, if it was covered by BG then they have to inspect before they take it on. And then if they do which It Would have Been serviced

BG wouldn't go near it without any service history let alone the age of the thing. "They said it looked five years old" LoL, they'd know it wasn't let alone finding parts for the thing. BG start panicking with eight year old boilers, this enquiry stinks like a DIY effort gone wrong or perhaps more likely somebody was employed who wasn't qualified.

Reply to New PCB for boiler in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock