Discuss No heat or hot water - PCB? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djames77

Hi All

I need some advice just really to check i'm not being mislead - i'll try to describe the problem as best i can but i've not technical understanding at all!

We have a baxi combi boiler around 7 years old and this stop working on Friday - no heat or hot water.

I had a local engineer round yesterday who spent about 45 minutes looking at the boiler. He did a test on the fan (one with a voltage tester and one with a screw driver thingy with a light in it) Voltage pen did pick up current but the light did not come on in the other thing. He feels that the voltage tester was picking something else up from wires around the fan.

He has diagnosed the problem as the PCB and is coming back to fit. My concern is he says he cannot promise this will resolve the problem. I can understand other components could have caused the PCB to fail but surely these can be tested before changing the PCB? If it was the fan for example, could this not be checked?

I am being charged £200 for the call out and to return with the pcb and to fit inclusive of VAT which i think is decent. I just don't want to end up in a situation where I have to have another PCB and other components which could see the cost escalate quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just get somebody around for a second opinion.

To me, I wouldn't be using a volt stick to diagnose. It should of been done with a multimeter

Do you know the model baxi you have? Any lights flashing/staying on on the front, display readings? As SimonJohns says, a light stick doesn't tell you much. Fault finding is a process of elimination and way down the list comes the PCB usually IMHO

Do you know the model baxi you have? Any lights flashing/staying on on the front, display readings? As SimonJohns says, a light stick doesn't tell you much. Fault finding is a process of elimination and way down the list comes the PCB usually IMHO

Hi I don't know the model i'm affraid. It has a green light on the front and two other led's that are unlit - water and heating i think. It has a switch for off, water, heating, both or reset on the bottom left and the water level gauge bottom right.

He spent 45 mins here yesterday so I assume he dd more checks, i didn't fully see what he was doing, partly because the boiler is in the loft and partly as i thought best to leave him to it. Just concerned that he cannot say for sure what the prob is and i'm spending money on something that might not fix it.

It sounds like a duotec? If it is then in the middle of the "neons" is an LED display. That'll usuallt scroll a fault code to help diagnostics E - -?

It sounds like a duotec? If it is then in the middle of the "neons" is an LED display. That'll usuallt scroll a fault code to help diagnostics E - -?

Just had a look on the internet and found the one I have - Baxi Combi 80 Eco It doesn't have anything to display a fault code on it.

id be getting a second opinion myself , but if hes gone for parts you might be a bit late ,

id be getting a second opinion myself , but if hes gone for parts you might be a bit late ,

OK, i might put a call into someone else then and see if they could pop out shortly. Is it normal to ask someone to have a look, diagnose and give me a quote? If so, how much should i be looking to pay for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No heat or hot water - PCB? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Vaillant turbomax plus 828e combi which we found powered off a few days ago. Turns out the 2a glass fuse on the PCB had gone...
Replies
Views
I got a problem with my boiler,it's got some vibration when it starts to work,it doesn't fire up unless I duck tap and blank half of the air...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock