Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Noise after boiler stops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We have a Concord gas boiler and it runs fine and not particularly noisy in operation.

Lately after the first cycle of heating the water there is a rumbling/clattering noise about 30seconds to a minute after the boiler has shut back to pilot only.

The noise sounds as if it travels up the pipes and ends in the tank in the attic. It only seems to do this every few cycles of hot water heating and mostly only the first time it’s switched on. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your help, I’m a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing,

Air pushed downhill by pump and settling out under gravity once the pump stops? Pump probably over-runs by 30 seconds to a minute after the boiler stops firing.

Ric,

Many thanks for the reply.

What is the solution to this?

It seems to have happened when the heating control panel was changed and the guy who did it changed it from a two to one pump system and left the other pump in place but not wired in.

We had one pump for heating and one for water I think but now it’s just the one that does both.

Thank you so much for your help.

Could be air in the system from when it was drained and will eventually cease when the last of the air has worked itself out/to the top of radiators from where it can be bled off.

If you've had work done, this is also a question you should be asking of the person who did the work.

Many thanks.

Will try to get it looked at, the work was done a year or so back now. Over the summer the noise stopped, even though it was on for heating the water but came back recently again.

Sounds like air to me by the noise, like I mentioned a bubbling/clattering type noise moving upwards. The boiler is getting on now but I don’t think it’s that as it happens a minute or so after the boiler has stopped.

Not sure if recommendations for work are allowed? I’m in Cardiff.

Any other thoughts please let me know and many thanks for your help.

Reply to Noise after boiler stops in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, looking for some advice. We have had an issue with our boiler of late and recently had a 3 port actuator replaced. What’s happening now is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Evening All, Been having on and off issues with a Greenstar CDI classic Combi were the hot water is not heating up but only intermittently. Some...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock