Search the forum,

Discuss Noise from neighbour's hot water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lillu22

Hi All,

I live in a flat at the top of a large victorian conversion. Above my flat is a small amount of attic space, which has a water tank in it. There are four flats in the building. My flat, the lower ground floor flat and the ground floor flat all have combi boilers and aren't using the water tank in the attic. However, I believe the flat below me still is. Whenever they seem to have a shower, I hear what can only be described as the sound a kettle makes when it has nearly reached boiling. However this sound can be heard throughout my flat. Is this sound normal? If so I am assuming I just have to live with it, as it's the sound of their boiler turning on and getting the water the water tank? Or should I not be able to hear it, even though the water tank is directly above my flat? (It could in fact just be their boiler making the sound and not the water tank at all). Excuse my ignorance, and thanks for any help in advance. I just don't want to mention anything to them, if it is normal to hear such a noise.

Thanks

Lucy

Sounds like the tank ball valve needs attention/ replacing do you have a maintenance contract for the whole property?

Can you climb up and look when it makes the noise?

Hi Both

Thanks for your replies. I am hoping to get a plumber to come to my flat on monday for a seperate problem. I can maybe ask him to take a look. Sadly we all have a share of the freehold, but when I bought the property last year they had never had a service charge sorted out. I am assuming if only one of the flats uses the tank, then it should be their obligation to pay for the repair? If the ball valve does need replacing, if it any expensive job?

If it's a ball valve no shouldn't be too much

And depends have a word with your neighbor maybe go halfs?

as the properties are freehold there won't be a service charge applicable. you will need to come to an arrangement with your neighbour.

The freehold of the building will be owned by a management company, and individual properties within will be leasehold, not freehold, although each leaseholder will own a share of the management company.

It is essential that there is a service charge, because the management company has to pay for maintenance of the fabric of the building, and needs money to do so. Otherwise, if the roof springs a leak, the only alternative is to make a call on all shareholders for their share of the cost. Takes ages while the roof deteriorates.

If the water tank is in an area of the building which is not part of any one property, then I would expect the management company to be responsible for its maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noise from neighbour's hot water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Why is my hot water tank making some sort of irritating whistling noise after I take a shower?
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock