Search the forum,

Discuss noisy hot water taps PLUS water forced out through showerhead???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fabaker

For several months now, when we turn on the hot tap, after a minute or so, there is huge clanging and pipe vibrations. We have narrowed this down to being controlled by the ballcock in the cold water tank that refills the hot tank - stop it from re-filling and the noise stops. Online forums seem to suggest this is probably due to an airlock - we therefore drained the hot water tank with the stopcock turned off, which has improved but not totally removed the sound (it seems to be slightly quieter, slightly shorter in length).

The added bonus is that at the same time as the noise and vibrations, water has been forced through the showerhead, despite the shower being switched off. The plumber was in the other day and eliminated the shower itself as being the problem - took it off the wall but water was still escaping from the pipe which feeds the shower. The flow is a strong dribble, certainly several litres overnight.

Any suggestions will be welcomed, thanks.

What sort of shower is it? if it's a cartridge one the cartridge may need replacing as the ceramic discs may have worn out.

As for the clanging, depending on how long you've been in the property, it could be that the pipes aren't clipped or there is a lack of lagging on the joists or that the ball valve may need replacing

Thanks for the speedy response.

It's an electric Triton Jade shower. I don't know whether that means it is a cartridge one.
As mentioned, the water was being forced into the pipe feeding the shower. The plumber felt it wasn't the shower that was the issue.

.. I think the forum suggestions could well be right with an airlock and you haven't removed all the air .. what the system set up? .. Cold feed from header (dedicated) and feed to cylinder from header?

shower sounds like a cold feed only to a 8.5 or 9.5 kw shower .. why are you draining hot water cylinders?

check inlet filter and check pressure to shower from the feed

just seen your earlier post about the electric shower now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We reckon the shower is fed from cold water from the rising main.

To reiterate, when the cold water tank is being refilled from the rising main (after running any hot tap for a while), the rising main is vibrating & making the noises described above whilst water is forced through the shower head.

So:

1) How to get rid of the airlock in the rising main, presuming it is an airlock.
2) How is it affecting the shower and what would need fixing on the shower to stop the water being forced through.

Thanks.

I haven't got a clue about the shower but for the vibration try taking the ballcock out open it up and replace the rubber inside. I got 1 from wickes for about 50p a few weeks ago. My toilet was doing the same thing and I just changed the washer and it stopped the noise.

Call a plumber out again buddy .. I am north west oxon if thats any good ?

Thanks - we will try the washer replacement followed by return of the plumber...

In my humble opinion the 2 problems are separate and unrelated. I would put money on problem 1 being sorted by replacing ballcock or just the washer. As stated before problem with shower is more than likely to be sorted with a new cartridge.

thanks -will definitely try new washer and see what happens.

Sorry to be dense but is the cartridge anything to do with the solenoid pump/ easily available/ universal?

Unfortunately they're all different for make/models. You should be able to find them on showerdoc.com. if you have no clue on make or model you can send them a picture and they should be able to help you identify it. Be warned cartridges can be quite expensive. Good luck.

Thanks - but the diagram on showerdoc doesn't seem to mention anything to do with cartridges. Could it be referred to as cab assembly or microswitch and wire assembly or solenoid valve etc?

Sorry fabaker. Didn't realise it was an electric shower. My guess would be solenoid valve as this is what allows the water to flow and could be what is at fault and letting by on your shower. You might want to get someone in to confirm this before you start forking out for parts.

it could be their could be a blockage of air or debris on your ballvalve and if you have a high mains pressure is over pressurising your shower solenoid valve thus making water to seep out of your shower, try and turn the pressure down using your stopcock just to see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to noisy hot water taps PLUS water forced out through showerhead???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock