Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Ditchyboy

Hi,

I was at my wifes grandparents the other day and her grandma said that they had had the water turned off outside the property for some work. Since the water has been back on the pipes occasionally make a horrible vibrating loud sound when the tap, either hot or cold is turned on and off. It carries on until the tap is turned back on then off again. (if that makes sense) but then if you use the tap within the next 15-30 mins it doesnt do it. So i thought it might be trapped air so i turned the mains off under the sink and opened all the taps and then slowly turned the mains back on, no noise.
Had a text from my mother in law saying that the noise now happens in the central heating sometimes until it is turned off at the thermostat. Is this air in the pipes even though these pipes arent linked to the same pipes as the taps? Should i suggest bleeding all the rads to see if that cures it?

I am not sure of the style of boiler yet as i am waiting for an answer but the house is only a couple of years old so i assume its a condensing combi.

All help and ideas appreciated

Michael

what work did they carry out outside?

could be increase in pressure due to work outside or maybe ingress of dirt/debris in main effecting tap/s
or just a faulty tap?

Last edited:
Agree with above, sounds like extra pressure in the incoming mains. Vibration from this can be due to pipework not been clipped correctly. case of further investigation on your behalf

strange its transfered to the heating? usually its a ballvale rubber gone hard people blame the tap as the use the tap after the wc and by that time the cystens filled almost to full and the noise starts opening a tap relives the preasure and noise goes

I thought it could be an increase in pressure but wasn't sure.the house is only 2 years old and it's not just 1 tap so that rules that out.if it has stopped doing that on the tap but does it on central heating shall I suggest they bleed the rads to release trapped air.it can't hurt can it?!

Rads & the central heating part of the boiler aren't connected to the mains in any system, so bleeding them won't do anything. If it is a combi boiler, then it is the mains water going through the boiler to be heated, as well as the mains to other cold taps that is what you look at.

i know they arent connected that is why i am finding it so strange that it seems to have transferred! I wont see her until xmas now as she lives 3 1/2 hours away but i am awaiting an answer in the form of email / phone call etc to see i it defo is now making a noise until the thermostat is turned down. If it has shall i just suggest turning the incoming mains tap in a few turns to reduce the pressure? Is there any other / more correct / proper way to get around this or is turning the mains down as good as any?

thanks again

Turning the stopcock down doesn't reduce pressure, just flow, but wouldn't do any harm to try turning it down a bit to test. Only way to reduce pressure is a PRV, if needed. Maybe pipes, as has been said, need clipped better & would do no harm to check/ renew any tap & stopcock washers. Pressure should be tested at outside tap, as you don't need much above 3 bar from mains.

Last edited:
You should see what kind of works have been done outside? and check that part of the piping system to find out. As you see the problem is increasing, so maybe there is somewhere that air is getting inside of your system? heating and supply are actually connected at once place, supplying them. if you have reliefed the heating system you have to refill it, that's where you get connected to main and are prone to get the same problem, however if you bleed the rads this problem should be solved for heatings

Turn the stop tap down a bit and/or install a mini pressure expansion vessel anywhere on the cold mains pipe in your house.

turning the stop tap down will possibly help, as others have stated it will not reduce pressure but the lower flow rate will help with water hammer due to less shock. If they have an unvented system then i would also check the strainer for dirt/blockages as work has been done on the main outisde.

You can sometimes have vibrations transfering around other pipework in the house if they are touching one another under the floor. I have seen it happen. This being said, if the house is new and has plastic pipework under the floor i would not think that would be possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock