Currently reading:
Not capping an ID'd boiler

Discuss Not capping an ID'd boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenF

Turned up to the job today after the boss had been out a quoted for a new boiler which we got. The old boiler had been capped off on a AGSI by another firm, sticker on front saying boiler ID'd as he wasn't able to re seal the combustion chamber, fair enough a few bolts has snapped off and this wouldn't seal right. I was suprised to see that the electrics to the heating system/ boiler were still all live, fuse left is spur ect... Also rather then a sealing disk in the meter or a nice cap on the cap supply to the boiler the engineer had just shut the supply off at the 14mm spanner isolater to gas valve. Am I right in thinking I can riddor here but what imformation would I need, I've got and checked his gas safe ID and he is registered. New to forum so looking forward to hearing back! Cheers

406f237cfd85f545b4c68f066e077e02.jpg
66bd64c8ac5f8e88eed1dc94c805bf93.jpg

is this the current updated one?;)

Im curious too. Have the mag but using it as a bed for my rabbit.
Latest tboo1 does state physical disconnect still

So the chap who ID'd the boiler failed to disconnect or cap it! OK. His boss attended & quoted for a replacement Boiler. The OP then attended to determine how his replacement boiler will be fitted/installed.
My question then is: Did the OP or his boss disconnect or cap the boiler/gas, disconnected electrical supply to boiler etc, etc, when they attended? NO. So who was the last one in? And as far as responsibility goes, the last one in 'has a duty of care' to be able to determine that there is danger to live and so disconnect or/and cap.
What would have happened if someone operated the boiler and got injured or killed an hour after him and his boss attended?
THEY AS JUST AS GUILTY AS THE CHAP who ID'd the boiler.

Blimey this all kicked off abit didn't it. This is what happens when men are forced to watch Xfactor and strictly come dancin!

Oh and Gasman I've picked up your dummy, you spat it all the way over here!:21:

Didn't think i would get this much response to a forum i've never used before, should of replied to a few messages sooner but anyway. Probably won't be Riddoring but quite shocked to see how many people seem to think i'm over reacting. In my opinion if someone is gas safe register they should do there job correctly and not cut corners, who was to say that that isolation point hadn't failed and would allow gas through to a ID'd boiler. Just because it didn't kill anyone doesn't mean that it's acceptable in my opinion... Sorry for taking this serious...

It's a bit of an emotional one Ben.

Say the shoe was on the other foot and you'd left a boiler like that. Would you prefer a phone call from the guy on site asking why you'd left it and a gentle reminder not to do it again, or would you prefer gas safe knocking on your door?

I know which I'd prefer.

Yeah i understand where you're coming from i was curious as the best thing to do but bit shocked to see the amount of people thinking i'm being overkill here. I take my job seriously and follow the rules.

Please lock this thread lol.

As if lifes not hard enough without wippa snappers climbing on their high horses and yeilding power to make themselves seem significant

Well, I'll stick my neck out and say I agree with the O.P (and Ermi)

I get the impression the RIDDOR was being questioned as he was trying to do the right thing in the circumstances. Whilst I agree it would be a touch harsh the bottom line is he's just trying to get a response on how to deal with the situation he found, which was not as it should have been left.

you can't pick and choose which regulations to abide by, especially in this circumstance the risk is potentially life threatening.

Give the guy a break, it's good to hear someone abiding by the regulations, don't cut him down for that. To be honest, the abuse he got for asking a question was unbelievable, especially from people who are supposed to be moderating the forum.

To the O.P, I suspect the wording of the question was what got people's backs up. I:E 'can I riddor' as opposed to 'should I riddor'.

I agree that this thread has had it's day and needs to be CLOSED.
Let's just shake hands and move on

if you were to riddor it, then you are obliged to leave it as found, to enable proper evidential investigation to take place by HSE, so do you cap it or not, or just go ahead and replace the boiler and earn a crust :)

think its for the best if its closed,i also think i could have handled this better,but it reminded me of a engineer a few years back who went through something similar,he was found to be without blame but it caused him massive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not capping an ID'd boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back