Discuss Occassional sewer smell in walls of house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flyjat76

I hope someone can help me as this is driving me nuts...! I moved into a newbuild house a year ago & for the last few months have been experiencing a weird sewer gas smell. The developer's plumbing contractors are being a little defensive over it (probably because there have been numerous other plumbing issues here, mainly through shoddy workmanship) hence I thought I'd try here. Google searches etc haven't helped, & I don't trust the plumbing contractors to solve this.

Very basically, it's a 3 storey townhouse, with 1 main bathroom, 2 ensuite shower rooms & 1 downstairs WC. Each toilet is the same - 'boxed in' with a wall mounted flush-plate that can be removed to access the cistern inside the boxing.

The problem we have is that occasionally, when the top floor ensuite is flushed, within a couple of minutes the entire ground floor smells of sewer gas. Subsequent flushes are OK. Having done a little diagnosis, the smell appears to be coming from the cupboard under the stairs (ie. not another toilet - the adjacent WC room is odour-free).

Digging a little deeper, I removed the upper ensuite flush-plate & noticed that on EVERY flush, after about 30 secs, a sewer gas smell appeared from the space behind the boxing/wall, although sometimes only faintly. This toilet is directly above another ensuite on the 1st floor, & on removing that flush-plate, the smell was there too, albeit only faintly. These 2 ensuites seem to be connected to the same soil pipe that runs down through the living room. So the problem may not be as occasional as I first thought - just differing levels of severity.

Continuing my experimentation, I removed the remaining 2 flush-plates (main bathroom on 1st floor & groundfloor WC) but the smell never appeared there, despite flushing all the toilets in the house. The other 2 toilets are not vertically 'in line' with the ensuite ones.

The understairs cupboard is 'open' to the rest of the internal walls of the house, & in fact is on the same side of the house as the problem ensuites, ie. the wall inside the cupboard is the same one that both ensuite toilets back on to.

It was suggested by the developer/plumbers that a faulty air admittance valve (aav) might be to blame, but they weren't sure if one was fitted. They have agreed to look at the plans for the house but that was 3 weeks ago. In the interim, I have contacted the NHBC who have also looked at the plans & told me that the soil pipe vents to atmosphere through a roof tile vent, so an aav would not be required.

Hence I'm a little baffled. An aav inside a wall or roof space would seem to explain it (with gases escaping & circulating within the walls) but it seems that one is not fitted. If there were a leak, then I assume that the smell would be around all the time, plus I would see water damage etc. Dry traps aren't to blame, as the smell doesn't come from any toilet/sink/shower but instead the internal walls. Admittedly the upper ensuite is not used very much, but recently we have ensured that it is & the problem continues.

So if anybody has any ideas I would be very grateful to hear them!

Many thanks in advance.

It's easy.

Get builder out. Ask him to bung manhole That feeds your loo. Runs water and flush loo until water level is at height of rim in geoundfloor toilet. Leave it for 1 hour. If it drops you have a leak.

Standard soundness test on the stack if that doesn't work.

Thanks guys for the replies. To be honest, I doubt the plumbers here will even know what that means - they'll probably just send round a lad with a torch to have a poke around behind a flush-plate!

Seriously though, thank you. Is a leak the only feasible explanation? If so, why does the smell only occur when a toilet is flushed (& only a particular toilet at that)...?

You'll probably find there's a pool of water collecting underneath base floor, and the smell is finding its way out through easiest points of escape.
Defo a leak.
Been there myself.

Take it that you have looked outside and made sure that the soil pipe does go through the roof ?

Well actually I've spoke to the developer today & they informed me that despite the plans suggesting a vent pipe through roof, there may well be an sac instead! Apparently all within the rules...

I haven't been on the roof so I can't tell, only pipe I can see is for boiler exhaust but apparently the vent may be flush. I can see what appears to some sort of vent/grate in the roof but not sure what that is.

I've persuaded the plumbers to come round so hopefully they'll at least be able to comfirm what I have fitted - assuming they bring a ladder!!

Well you would not need to get on the roof to see it ! will be sticking up a couple of feet above the roof, its either in the loft or some where boxed in, and either its failed or more than likely they have forgot to fit it on

If its an internal stack have a look in the loft to see if the soil is connected to a vent in the roof or has an aav. You may find it hasn't been connected. One property in 4 should go to a roof vent the others can have an aav although builders now seem to be asking for most to go to vent. There is normally a roof tile vent to connect to rather than the soil pipe penetrating the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Occassional sewer smell in walls of house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100%...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock