Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec from NVQ2? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingDoey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening,

Am coming to the end of my nvq2 apprenticeship. We were all talking about what to do after at college today. Most of the lads want to go Gas safe but I find the idea of Oil more up my street.

Does anyone know if it is a requirement to have NVQ3 before doing Oftec or can you go straight from NVQ2?

Cheers

My mate who did his Oftec earlier this year (and is already Gas Safe) said there were guys doing the oftec who had 'walked in off the street' ie. no plumbing experience. They are now oftec registered. God knows what service they provide.

Cheers for the response mate.

By the sounds of it then I could probably do it before getting NVQ2...!!! Thats pretty bad that you can do it with no experience at all.

Will probs go straight onto that then in April.

You don't have to be Oftec Registered to work with oil fired boilers. I found that out on this forum. I have continued to do what I always did, and use a registered engineer to commision boilers at a cost of ÂŁ95. That said, I would be breaking no laws if I didn't use them. However there could be warranty issues if the boiler broke down. I have serviced and installed oil fired boilers for years now, and am pleased that I'm not forced to spend yet more money registering with more bodies to do a job that is well regulated as is.

As I understand it, there have been no deaths related to an oil fired boiler. That is why legislation isnt as tight. OFTEC would love it to be compulsory. They'd have my registration money for one, and a great many more too.

Ah thats interesting to know. My college lecturer basically made it sound like we had 3 choices after NVQ2/3.

Gas
Solid Fuels
Oil

I always thought you had to be Oftec. Cheers for that mate!

However does that apply for commercial too do you know? I think that is the ultimate goal for me.

Commercial is a totally different kettle of fish.

My father worked in industrial pipe fitting for 30 years. Hard graft and good money. His company put boiler rooms in hospitals, prisons, tower blocks, you name it.

He's told me tails about boilers that use 'heavy oil' with a cup that spins on a centrifug and chucks the oil into a spray before it goes into the burner. Very interesting stuff. Don't think I'm cut out for work that heavy though!! LOL.

Anyway, I'm currently installing two oil fired boilers, linked with a sequenser totalling 70KW of output, so getting on for commercial. I'm working with my dear pappa, so I'll ask him about what you need. Good luck with it mate, I think it's a great choice. In all honesty, if I could start from scratch I would go industrial/commercial despite what I joke about above.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:
Commercial is a totally different kettle of fish.

My father worked in industrial pipe fitting for 30 years. Hard graft and good money. His company put boiler rooms in hospitals, prisons, tower blocks, you name it.

He's told me tails about boilers that use 'heavy oil' with a cup that spins on a centrifug and chucks the oil into a spray before it goes into the burner. Very interesting stuff. Don't think I'm cut out for work that heavy though!! LOL.

Anyway, I'm currently installing two oil fired boilers, linked with a sequenser totalling 70KW of output, so getting on for commercial. I'm working with my dear pappa, so I'll ask him about what you need. Good luck with it mate, I think it's a great choice. In all honesty, if I could start from scratch I would go industrial/commercial despite what I joke about above.

Cheers,

Dan

Yeah the big boiler rooms and stuff is what i want to be doing. That centrifugel boiler sounds complicated...its all good stuff though.

Yeah well everyone i know on my course wants to do Gas, its good but surely its not the be all and end all. Oil interests me and I want to move out rural when i finish my apprenticeship so should be ideal.

If you speak to your old man about the commercial that would be handy.

Much Appreciated Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec from NVQ2? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock