Discuss Oil Fired CH Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulL

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone may be able to offer some advice on my Boulter Camray Quartet fired CH system.

Symptoms started when we heard a noise from a downstairs rad that was like an air line near the TRV, even when the heating and hot water was off. The CH was still working ok at this point though. (the only time this air noise stops is when the mains to the pump is switched off)

Then, a day or two later we noticed a noise like a tank filling in the loft so I checked in the and the CH header tank ball valve was constantly running. I changed that and the noise stopped. the air noise from the downstairs rad remained. I bled all the radiators but no difference.

Then, we heard a noise from the pipes leading from the boiler downstairs up to the pump upstairs. It sounded like an inconsistent tapping/banging with the odd rush and gurgling of water. I went upstairs and bled the pump but no air came out, I bled the the rads all round but nothing from them either. Some of the rads downstairs seemed to be luke warm at the bottom, not all but a couple.

Since then, Ive rebled the rads & got quite a lot of air out of one of the rads upstairs. I've continued to try to bleed the rads but haven't got any more air out. However, the boiler fires up and can run for up to an hour and then it stops, stays off for a while then restarts and fires and stays on for between 4-7 minutes then stops again. It doesn't lock out though.

I've tried a new room stat but it made no difference. I'm stumped now and was wondering if its a pump issue. I checked the 3 port valve and all pipes going into it were warm and the control at the side didnt have much resistance but would lock into position and return when unlocked. The pump wasn't hot, but merely warm and sounded like it seems to run smoothly. I spoke to the boiler service fella and he suggested it probably wasn't a boiler issue but I'm not sure now. I would appreciate any advise that anyone could offer.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Theres plenty of oil in the tank so thats not an issue. I have noticed that if you put the hot water on first the system runs for a short while then starts making the noises in the pipes. If you then switch HW and heating on the system runs long enough to heat the rads then stops and starts doing the stopping and starting every few minutes.[/FONT]

Many thanks, Paul

Circulation issue. Old system?

Get some cleaner into the system for a week and flush it out and add inhibitor.

If that works then consider a central heating filter like the trappex centramag.

Thanks very much for that info Simon. I will do just that. Is there any preferance on what brand of cleaner and inhibitor? We've got 11 rads if that makes any difference.

the reason your rads are cold at the bottom is all the sludge is sitting there

No preference for me, just whats available. Make sure you turn up the boiler thermostat as the heat will make it more effective.

If you have a magnet you can check the pipework to see if the magnet is attracted to the crud inside the pipe.

Thanks very much for your help. fernox F3 & fernox F1? will they be ok for an old system? I reckon I might as well fit a trappex while the system is drained too, ÂŁ66 on Amazon which doesnt look too bad ey?

Thanks again, Paul

Not sure if I've read it different to everyone else.

Are you saying that your hearing the gurgling noise when nothing is on?

Not a gurgling noise. One of the downstairs rads makes a noise like you would hear when an air line is on in a garage, not really loud of course but that sort of noise and its from the bottom near the TRV. It even does it when the HW and heating is off and the only time it will stop is if you switch off the mains supply to the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Fired CH Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock