Discuss Old System - Upgrade Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrew1810

Hello,

Before I start, I should point out that I'm not a plumber so apologies if I have anything horribly wrong.

I have an old CH system which is not really heating the house very well so am looking at upgrading the boiler.

Current system:
Baxi Bermuda back boiler (roughly 30 years old)
Single pipe
Primatic Cylinder with small but noisey header tank directly above it in the airing cupboard

I'd rather avoid replacing the pipes if possible, 2 rooms have laminate and some of the furniture probably can't be moved out of the rooms without completely taking apart.

From what I've read I have 2 options:

1) Combi and risk the old pipes leaking (have extended cover on the insurance just in case)
2) Lower pressure system boiler, replace cylinder and add extra tank in the (very small) loft

House is 3-bed, 1 bathroom spread over 3 floors

I'm getting quotes from local plumbers for the work but want to make sure I'm asking for the right thing

Thanks

you can keep the open vented set up, doesn't have to be a sealed system, but yes upgrade the cylinder. most boiler manufacturers will say that for the warranty to be valid on the installation you will need to change to a 2 pipe set up.

It is essential that the back boiler be decommissioned AND disconnected. It's a big deal to undertake for a DIYer

Sorry but the lot needs to be replaced, modern boilers not suitable for one pipe system, if you have limited space better of with combi, but get one with long warranty (Sime Murel HE) 10 years parts and labour so no need to take out extra insurance for 10 years this alone could save ÂŁ3000.00 +.
Not counting saveings on running costs, (Pilot light) on old boiler about ÂŁ100.00 pr year ! possable saving on gas bill about 35% if system is fitted correctley. Remember get at least 3 quotes:gettree:

If the system is working fine now then replacing the heat source with a boiler suitable for an open system is perfectly okay. You do have to upgrade the design to current requiremens of building regs Part L. Thermostatic controls throughout, room stat cylinder stat etc. And it would also be advisable to have a good flush out & magna filter fitted... Obviously a full heating replacement would be the better option and the more advisable one, long term. But if it means too much upheavel and cost then the conversion to two pipe could be done at a later date... :) IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old System - Upgrade Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi all. I recently upgraded our CH system, but rather than the expected drop in gas consumption, Octopus is saying we're using roughly 30% more...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock