Search the forum,

Discuss Old un-pressurised heating system - top up valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,
I hope you are doing well.
I have old un-pressurised heating system and I need to top up the water but I cannot locate the bloody valve.
Where is it? Is it in the attic?

I also have this valve with black screw on top. Should this be opened or closed?

Thank you

Chances are they will be a tank in the loft

Open when filling up closed when full

Chances are they will be a tank in the loft

Open when filling up closed when full
In the loft I have two tanks, one much bigger than the other and both are not empty. I still wonder how I filled the system initially when it was completely drained. Intake water pipes that go into the tanks have a regular valve but also the float valves.

In the loft I have two tanks, one much bigger than the other and both are not empty. I still wonder how I filled the system initially when it was completely drained. Intake water pipes that go into the tanks have a regular valve but also the float valves.
The smaller of the tanks in your loft is likely the F & E tank for the central heating, which should be automatically keeping the system topped up.
Is the tank full, with the ball raised floating on the water, and if you push the ball down does the valve let water into the tank?

What leads you to think the water needs topping up in the first place?

The smaller of the tanks in your loft is likely the F & E tank for the central heating, which should be automatically keeping the system topped up.
Is the tank full, with the ball raised floating on the water, and if you push the ball down does the valve let water into the tank?

What leads you to think the water needs topping up in the first place?
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the ball valve when pressed releases some water.
The reason I think there is air in the system is because this valve on the above picture was opened for a prolonged time but this is to do with hot water tank so has nothing to do with heating circuit, right? The valve has now been closed.
When the boiler kicks in I can hear the water slushing in the pipes in the area where the tank is. I don't think I could hear it before but maybe is just I am more sensitive, paying more attention to the noises coming from the heating system.

I would expect that automatic air vent you show in the photo to be installed on the heating circuit, maybe the heating coil in the cylinder, or an otherwise high point in the heating loop. They can be left open but have a reputation for leaking out of the vent, so it's preferable to just open them when needed and close again.

When the boiler kicks in I can hear the water slushing in the pipes in the area where the tank is. I don't think I could hear it before but maybe is just I am more sensitive, paying more attention to the noises coming from the heating system.
I came across a mention here of someone who had a 'swooshing' sound from their hot water cylinder when the system was heating water, and one response suggested there might be air in the coil. If your air vent is on the coil, maybe it's become caked up/blocked through being open a long time, and there is air that can't get out!
Just a thought!

Reply to Old un-pressurised heating system - top up valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock