Discuss Option to relocate oil boiler to external housing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

valjester

After a recent internal oil leak I've got the chance to relocate an old Warm-Flow Riello 40 kersoene burner to an external housing (was previously installed in back hall). Insurance company have been sorting the oil remediation work (dug out kitchen & back hall) and will relocate the boiler externally, build new plinth, supply housing & new flue for a fee.

Pros are: frees up a bit more space in the back hall, less noise in back hall, less worries over CO in property if anything ever went wrong.
Cons are: increased heat loss from boiler, therefore less efficient/boiler more exposed to the elements/old flue to be removed (exits through extension roof)

They're looking £350 to relocate, not bad I think but would it be a waste of money doing it for a boiler that age (approx 20 years old)??

Also, probably will switch to mains gas in the next few years anyway...

All thoughts greatly appreciated! :confused5:

need to make your mind up, gas or oil if oil new boiler in new posn if gas new boiler where ever needed. no point in moving something that isnt broke, as it probably will be o/c

If you're DEFINITELY getting gas in the next few years, why not have an LPG boiler fitted, then convert to Nat Gas later on?

Talk to your insurance company with regards to going to gas sooner rather than later. They may consider paying you the money they would've paid for the kabinpak and base, and you'll have to pay the excess.

Going to gas is probably a few years away- when I can get round to it. At the moment I've to decide whether to put the old boiler back into the rear hall or relocate outside to an external housing for £350?
im thinking prob not worth spending the money now on an old system?

Not when you consider you're going to go through the upheaval again in a few years. But think about talking to your insurance company to see if they'll consider stumping something up towards the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Option to relocate oil boiler to external housing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that...
Replies
Views
J
We are buying a bungalow with an external oil boiler. We plan to build an extension, will we need to move the boiler or can it remain where it is...
Replies
Views
I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock