Currently reading:
part p??

Discuss part p?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

hi lads just wanted a bit of advice regarding the part p courses.

come next april i will have completed, or hope i will have completed my acs exams, and would also like to add the part p, so im not having to fork out for a sparky on certain jobs.

question is do i go for the part defined scope, or the full scope??

there isnt much price difference in the two but what do each enable you to undertake elecrticalr wise.

any info would be great.

What they don't tell you is the cost of signing off work.

Pass Part P defined scope or full scope and you get a little card. This does not in itself allow you to sign off work. You must belong to a competent persons scheme.

OFTEC charges around £200 annually for a defined scope qualification (if memory serves me correctly). However, defined scope only allows you to do one or two things and there's quite a grey area in all this too.

For example - and please someone correct me if I'm wrong here! - you can fit an electric shower and run a cable back to the consumer unit. But if you need to install a new RCD I think you can only do this with a full part P qualification. You can add a socket as an off shoot to a circuit but not one in the middle of a circuit. So to fit a boiler, this should be done off an RCD on the consumer unit and not added to a socket. To do this you need a full scope. A full scope costs around £1,000 a year for an electrician and includes at least one inspection in that year.

I'm not sure how correct I've got everything here - all I know is it's a complicated grey area of red tape.

Last edited by a moderator:
dont do part p,cost of registering,upkeep of tools ie calibration costs,training
we bring in a spark ie combi fused spur connection ,test £50.just add it to price of job.keep it simple you,ll have enough to worry about.

yeah i suppose you could add it on to the job price and it would leave one less job for me to do etcc..

i think i may wait and get my gas out the way and see what happens after.

as they say dont run before you walk.

cheers lads.

Gotta agree with wnjswozo, it's a waste of money if your just looking to fit a few fused spurs on boiler jobs, more cost effective and quicker to get a spark in. The test equipment alone (Megger) is about £600. Save your money, you'll need it to get a good FGA. Would reccomend doing a basic electrics course though, try the one at Baxi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to part p?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back