Search the forum,

Discuss Particular type of toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparkyrose

Hi all,

I am very much in the DIY category here. I have a toilet in the house where the cistern was running abit so we had a guy come out and fit a new syphon. He put in a fairly standard one but when it now flushes, instead of a good movement of water the bowl gradually fills up and then gradually empties. The guy said he thought the type of toilet meant that there was a special type of syphon that would essentially go down the back part of the bowl and "pull" the water out using suction of some kind. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyway, the guy said he would get a replacement part but has been useless and impossible to get back, so I have decided to do it myself. I'm handy enough but I don't know the name of the type of part I need. This is where I am turning to you guys!

The guy who was here said it was kind of rare/old style of toilet. If I know what I am looking for I think I can find the part I need and fit it. Does anyone have an idea? I have attached a couple of pics of the toilet in case they are helpful.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
Symphonic bomb, sold in Toolstation but wait. Excuse spelling errors, bit wasted on doing this on phone

Think you need the syphonic bomb fitting now I'm not 100% as I've not come across one before but others should confirm this

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I will investigate and if I have trouble fitting it (entirely possible) I may be back for further advice!

Best

Mark

They are famous for being tricky but there are good few guys on here who seem to have got the knack.

That's an Armitage toilet I think and therefore straight forward enough.
You can actually buy an Armitage Airex (bomb) and if you do, then use an Armitage syphon as they fit each other.
The Airex will have a plastic inner stem where a domed rubber washer (normally about 40mm wide) fits on to stem. Make sure you fit the FLAT part of the washer going downwards and just push in on to stem a few mm and gently lower the cistern down and the washer will push to its correct place.
Best toilet made, that particular one!

Last edited:
just pull it out and put a new toilet in

Noooooo! Those older Armitage syphonic toilets are the Rolls Royce of toilets! :smile:
Nothing will compare to them.
Who really wants a modern push button, badly designed, leak down the pan loo anyhow?

did one last year in nice block of apartments. So silent, original wc in the
1960's built flat, chosen in consideration of neighbours below, sharp
contrast to todays laminate flooring/ telly/ shouting at 3am.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Particular type of toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm about to install a new American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. It's upside down about to receive the wax ring and I noticed there's a small crack in the underside of the bowl. It looks like a place where they plug an opening during casting. I've attached a photo. No sign of a crack in the inside...
Replies
Views
Hello, My tenant toilet has just started to fill up really slow, he has said it takes 20mins to fill the tank, what could be the issue? He provided a short video that I have attached. Would be good to know what to look for, or what parts to take when going to take a look. Thank you good...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I noticed when I was cleaning the toilet the other day that there are some large cracks just under the rim jet area of my toilet bowl. The toilet itself is old, I've not noticed it before, but I dont usually go looking inside the toilet much, just pop some bleach up there etc. The...
Replies
Views
R
Hi all, I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help me with an issue I'm having at home. We've just returned from a week long holiday and have noticed that one of our toilets (a catalano toilet on a geberit frame) seems to have brown water coming up into the toilet bowl. When we flush, the...
Replies
Views
Laurie1987
L
Does anyone know please what kind of fitting this is? I have hot cold wallmounted faucets for a bathroom basin. The original taps (pictured were not gripping and slipping around the pipe)I was told by a plumber that he couldn't find any similar taps with a fitting like this (some sort of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock