Discuss Payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Seem to be having trouble chasing people lately. Did work for a builder all happy with work, sent him invoice for £1850( he was buying materials i just supplied £50 worth) he paid £1500 into my account and when I asked him why he said he had to take CIS deductions out. He hasn't got my UTR or National Insurance number, so how will he make payment. Trying to get the paperwork out of him but no luck.
Also done work for a company called Amber Property Maintenance based in Northampton and having an absolute headache with them done the work for them £822.60 which I quoted for and they accepted then after the job trying to get me to drop £200!

Feel for you man, the only person who i had issues with payment was for work i did at a pub.

not the brightest idea. Collected payment on mothers day, land lady didn't want a loud short angry plumber on the busiest day of the year :devil2:

not getting paid is a git , do a job and then argue the toss about it and haggle and have to go back in a couple of days for the money ,,,,and then find out that the old fekkers died and your out of pocket, damned inconsiderate of them I say ,,,,,,, at a loss now :35:

if your builder is saying hes paid your tax then you are entitled to a payment statement detailing what has been paid.

why not phone the cis helpline and ask what they suggest? they may be able to confirm if he can and has made the payment.

for the other, did you give a written quote? you could send them a debt recovery letter for outstanding balance. it works alot of the time.

He hasn't got my UTR or National Insurance number, so how will he make payment.

He doesn't necessarily need either of those to get you onto his CIS system all our subbies are on our online system, usually a call to the helpline is all it takes to get them on our system.

You are entitled (and he should send) a monthly certificate of deductions he's taken from you. Your VAT is paid in full.

Q: Do you want to do work for either of these again?
A: If not, give them 7 days and then immediately start small claims court proceedings.
A: If yes, why?

Be careful, don't give them to much forgiveness. I gave a company an extra month after they begged, they ended up going into voluntary liquidation so iv basically lost the best part of 6k in labour! Didn't see it coming

Be careful, don't give them to much forgiveness. I gave a company an extra month after they begged, they ended up going into voluntary liquidation so iv basically lost the best part of 6k in labour! Didn't see it coming

Any job that is over £1k in labour charges, I make customer aware that payments will be in stages.
Stage 1, 1/3rd of labour charge before I even start the job,
Stage 11, 1/3rd of payment at the midway point, &
Stage 111 balance 1/3rd of remainder on completion of the job.

That way, if any of the parties feel aggrieved along the lines, they can up sticks. Last thing I want is to be owed an awful lot of money after a job is completed.

yes that is viable with private customers on fixed price jobs. But with trade customers like builders, renewable energy firms and other plumbers this isn't so easy when on hourly. And you do build a trust when your personally involved. Nevermind - just have to get on with it and make up for it.

I have read this and NO WAY are you a sub contractor you deserve full payment on presentation of your invoice unless 1. credit ie time payments were set between you you 2. there is any problems with the work.

If you like him and he has more work bear it for a little while and load it on to the next job and get some dosh up front next time. Mind you as I know where you are and I lived nearby and still keep in touch I know a real animal who would get your dosh for 10% CHK
Seem to be having trouble chasing people lately. Did work for a builder all happy with work, sent him invoice for £1850( he was buying materials i just supplied £50 worth) he paid £1500 into my account and when I asked him why he said he had to take CIS deductions out. He hasn't got my UTR or National Insurance number, so how will he make payment. Trying to get the paperwork out of him but no luck.
Also done work for a company called Amber Property Maintenance based in Northampton and having an absolute headache with them done the work for them £822.60 which I quoted for and they accepted then after the job trying to get me to drop £200!

if the builder was employing you for work then cis applies, BUT proper paperwork showing the deductions should be handed over as well. sounds as if he is having you on one, time for a chat with the tax man and small claims court to ruin his day from 2 directions

Unless you are a ltd company or exempt from cis the builder is well within his rights . Tax laws in construction are very clear on this, many people think they are self employed and in reality work for somebody.

Unless you are a ltd company or exempt from cis the builder is well within his rights . Tax laws in construction are very clear on this, many people think they are self employed and in reality work for somebody.

Also applies to Ltd companies unless you register to be paid gross.

Feel for you man, the only person who i had issues with payment was for work i did at a pub.

not the brightest idea. Collected payment on mothers day, land lady didn't want a loud short angry plumber on the busiest day of the year :devil2:
Good Idea that getting Croppie to pop round debt collecting....sorry Croppie could not help myself...I 'll get my coat......regards Turnpin

I don't see a problem with him paying your CIS contribution, as the scheme is intended to prevent cash in hand payments. But the percentage taken needs to be correct and you need to be handed a remittance advice slip showing this. Tell him to get his finger out.

Yes all sounds fine on paper !
In reality buider Bob deducts the tax and forgets to put the required certificate in with the cheque !
This carries on for a few months but he is a mate so not to worry !
Then one day you try to get your certificates but Oh dear Bob has wound up the firm !
Now where do you stand as you tell Mr or Mrs Nice tax person I really have paid it !
In god we trust all others pay cash !

Yes all sounds fine on paper !
In reality buider Bob deducts the tax and forgets to put the required certificate in with the cheque !
This carries on for a few months but he is a mate so not to worry !
Then one day you try to get your certificates but Oh dear Bob has wound up the firm !
Now where do you stand as you tell Mr or Mrs Nice tax person I really have paid it !
In god we trust all others pay cash !
This happened to me 6/7 year ago. He also owned me afew hundred quid. Not too bad but I've not worked for a builder since. Never worked for an estate agent again either after a bad experience with one. In fact, I think Ive had afew estate agents that have either tried it on or got away with it. Unless I was paid up front I'd never work for one again.

I got a call the other day from a builder, doing a place in industrial estate down the road from me, do I want to quote "hell no" builders, maintenance companies etc are a big no no for me. They never pay on time, moan because your plumbing is in there way or isn't to high standard even though they want it done cheap. maintenance companies don't have a clue what you are on about, know nothing about plumbing and always require signatures etc.. pointless work that I cant be bothered with. spend more time on paperwork then working, don't get paid for paperwork either!!

Get some legal advice. I'm not sure of the legal system in the UK, but us colonists, founded by the greater establishment, I assume we would work on roughly the same princibles.

We can put clauses in the contracts and on the invoice, stating, that if the invoice is unpaid a debt collection firm will be employed. - Collection costs will be added to the amount owed -
Or word to that effect.

Oz-Plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Payments in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock