Discuss 'Period' sanitary ware - what brands? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boatmechanic

Hello all!

I am a new poster who has moved to Sweden after having lived in the UK for many years.

We are going to refurbish the bathrooms in our house in Sweden, and I would like to refurbish them in what the English call traditional or period sanitary ware.

Since this is a Swedish house, I do not care about what is correct from a historical perspective and therefore do not care what products are the most authentic or if I mix, say, Victorian and Edwardian style items. What I do care about is the price and quality of the items I buy:
Toilet
Bidet
Taps
Towel radiator
etc

After spending some time reading this forum, I realize that I should stay away from the Chinese wares sold online at what is often massive discounts. Then I come across lots of brands at different price points, for example:
Thomas Crapper (massively expensive)
Burlington
Perrin & Rowe (seems to have more of a presence outside the UK than in the UK)
Lefroy Brooks
Valadares (Portugal, I think they went bankrupt)
Sbordoni (Italy)
Old London (maybe just a made-up name for made in China)

So in short, for you plumbers and non-plumbers out there, what would you spend your hard-earned money on?

I bought Balterley for a customer, which when it turned up was actually vitra (turkish, to my disappointment). However, it was very good quality.

I bought Balterley for a customer, which when it turned up was actually vitra (turkish, to my disappointment). However, it was very good quality.

Thanks - the Ambience range looks quite good and the prices are very competitive.

Additional pointers are greatly appreciated.

buy from swedish merchant, that way it will all arrive in one piece, being serious here, its not worth the hassle of trying to import ceramics

buy from swedish merchant, that way it will all arrive in one piece, being serious here, its not worth the hassle of trying to import ceramics

If I buy from a Swedish merchant, I can get Thomas Crapper at prices that are close to UK prices which still means exorbitant.

Is the quality of that stuff in any way commensurate with the price?

I have found Perrin and Rowe as well locally.

Very expensive - is it reflected in the quality of the product?

UKPF - why is someone from sweden on here asking us questions?! Lol

Mock "period" sanitaryware not as common these days as it is getting pretty dated now. I'm ripping out a lot of 1990s "Victoriana" at the moment as people are wanting to modernise! Wouldn't you be better off with something plain and simple that doesn't look dated?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 'Period' sanitary ware - what brands? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock