Search the forum,

Discuss PEX barrier pipe – can anybody answer this? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a question that I’m hoping those of you who are experienced central heating engineers may be abler to throw some light on. But first I need to tell you about my system, and the problem I’ve been having. Just over 7years ago I had a new CH system installed in my small semi. I say new – in fact some existing upstairs copper piping was retained, and also a stainless steel towel rail radiator (which had only been installed a year or so earlier as part of a new bathroom. The combi boiler is a Vaillant Ecotec Plus. 18 months after installation I had a pressure sensor replaced under warranty. The Vaillant engineer said the system water was dirty (surprising given that the system was new, dosed with a bottle of Sentinel X100 and equipped with a magnetic filter). On the advice of a local plumber I emptied & flushed the system, refilled it, added 1.5 bottles of Sentinel, and have kept an eye onn things ever since. The boiler pressure is steady and there are no discernible leaks anywhere. To cut a long story short, I discovered over the next few years that the level of inhibitor (which I monitor regularly using Sentinel quick test kits) fell quite rapidly if the system ran several hours per day at a temperature of 68 degrees (as in the recent cold weather). For example I added a full bottle 3 months ago, and the other day the test showed there was insufficient inhibitor. Over the years I have tried to find possible reasons. Two of the downstairs radiators were connected using PEX pipe (total length of pipe about 20 metres). I wondered if the installer had failed to use barrier pipe, thus allowing oxygen to get into the system. However when I took up the floorboards and checked the pipe, I found they had used the right stuff (QUAL-PEX Barrier Pipe BS7291 Class S). I then wondered if even barrier pipe becomes ineffective at temperatures from 65 to 70 degrees, but I could find nothing about this when I Googled it. So my question is: does anybody have any information about this, or has anybody installed CH systems using PEX barrier pipe, operating at these temperatures and, if so, have any similar problems been encountered? Any help appreciated.

Problem with plastic pipe is the fittings arnt barrier so they can cause problems

Is a "full bottle" enough for your system?, presume have you tested the water immediarely after adding it?.
A full bottle is supposed to treat a 100 Litre system. I reckon the system in my smallish semi is only half that, so a full bottle is more than adequate. Yes I tested immediately afterwards, and it was OK as expected.

If oxygen is, as seems to be happening, "getting in" and being absorbed by the chemical, does this just turn into a sludge, I wonder. If no inhibitor or inhibitor used up and oxygen is being absorbed one would think the system pressure would tend to rise?.

Reply to PEX barrier pipe – can anybody answer this? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock